Getting less than you paid for... >

Getting less than you paid for...

Getting less than you paid for...

Old 03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

yes, no fun!
Old 08-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
Has anyone else had the problem of a yard really isnt a yard anymore? It seems the employees have been taught to be very specific when cutting fabric and not "over"cut a yard of fabric!! Alot of time I will buy what I think is three yards and it ends up being 2 yards 34-35 inches!! I guess its not a really big deal but over time this adds up!! Also if I try using it for backing I come up short just that little bit!!! Frustrating to me. Wondered if anyone else has that problem. Thanks cheryl :D
As a small quilt shop owner I understand your concern. All of us want what we pay for. I always allow an extra inch or so, in the case of a very crooked end more than enough to allow for what the customer will lose when they straighten the fabric. It would be nice if all of us receive the same service back as we like to give to others.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM

I always watch them cut it and if need be, I ask them to make sure they start measuring from the short end if the material isn't even. After all, all you have to work with is from the short end.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:20 PM

I have been purchasing from my LQS and notice that they actually seem to stretch on the fabric and very quickly move the fabric from the beginning of the measure stick to the end, never even laying it all the way flat. Last week I purchased 5 1/2 continuous yards plus several 1 to 3 yard cuts. I put them away but know I should measure them to see how short I am.

I am registered in several classes there over the next 3 months as I am just starting to learn quilting so I don't feel comfortable in correcting them when they are cutting my fabric (they have all been in the sewing business 10 to 30+ years). I am trying to walk a fine line of maintaining friendliness and there are only two LQS within a 30-45 minute drive so I don't have many options.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
As one who works in the fabric dept.... I always but a long yard for my customers. I like it when I get the same. I won't let certain people cut my fabric because they short cut it.
Ditto I have this one girl that cuts fabric for me and she always adds an 1/8 or so to it. If the bolt is towards the end and its like a 1/3 or 1/2 she will just give it to me. I will say that being a heterosexual male in a predominately female hobby has its advantages! :mrgreen:

Billy
Old 08-28-2011, 03:14 PM

I have became friendly with the gals who cut my fabric and I don't have any issues, they look out for me! That is why I like shopping there.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:19 PM

I hear you! I think my LQS must wonder why I don't purchase more from them. Not only are their prices high (which I do understand) but they cut right to the line and often it's the shorter side of the cut that they measure. So if it should be 1/2 yard, you won't get the full 18 inches. I also had them help me pick out fabric for a quilt and I ended up with enough to make two quilts. I would love to find a LQS that doesn't do this, and forget JoAnn's!!! So it's no wonder I buy most of my fabric online.

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria
I have been purchasing from my LQS and notice that they actually seem to stretch on the fabric and very quickly move the fabric from the beginning of the measure stick to the end, never even laying it all the way flat. Last week I purchased 5 1/2 continuous yards plus several 1 to 3 yard cuts. I put them away but know I should measure them to see how short I am.

I am registered in several classes there over the next 3 months as I am just starting to learn quilting so I don't feel comfortable in correcting them when they are cutting my fabric (they have all been in the sewing business 10 to 30+ years). I am trying to walk a fine line of maintaining friendliness and there are only two LQS within a 30-45 minute drive so I don't have many options.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by KarenR
There was a post on here about long cuts from a company-
Which company was that? I will have to do a search.
I know www.fabric.com - cuts a long yard
Old 08-31-2011, 01:48 PM

i do not expect any extra fabric unless that is the store policy, like fabric.com

i would rather pay a decent price and get an exact yard then to pay $12-$14 a yard at the LQS and get an extra 2 inches.

the LQS charges double what i pay online and certainly 2 inches isn't worth $6 to me.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM

fabric_fancy, my LQS's average price is $9.99 per yard. What online stores do you recommend that are only charging $6 to $7 a yard?

I haven't really found any good deals like that. I have purchased a lot on line in the past two months at probably 6 to 8 different stores and it is around $8.50 to $9.99 per yard. Most of these stores are outside CA so I don't have to pay sales tax. This ends up helping offset shipping quite a bit.