Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pincushion / Sewing & Button Box >

Pincushion / Sewing & Button Box

Pincushion / Sewing & Button Box

Old 09-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Lovely. Thanks for sharing. :-D
Old 09-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Gorgeous - beautifully done. I am totally impressed.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM

That is absolutely luscious!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Those are just wonderful!
Have you thought about a wall hanging of 5 squares embellished like the box top, alternated with four others =
plain or lighter or darker? ( a kind of ninepatch plan.)
Jpthequilter
Jeannie I really like your idea and it just may be the perfect way to salvage the good parts of my UFO! :thumbup:
Old 09-07-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Eagle Hawk
Thank you for your complement on my Avatar. It is a bag I made for my small light board and it turned amazingly well. I made it to carry with me because my big light board is too big to take anywhere I hand embroidery things to put in the middle of my blocks and then CQ around each embroidery. Am I understanding right that your are relatively new at this? I haven't been doing it for long either, but have been preparing and collecting things for a long time, but you have given me so many more great ideas. Thanks for the beautiful website, too. I am really enjoying it. I love to look at the stitches that other people use and put them in my CQ's, too. It is so neat to build the stitches. I can't believe the great things I have seen people do on this board with such fantastic ideas and quality. Yours is one of the top quality.
Thanks again Eagle Hawk! Well i for one am shocked that you are new to crazy quilting! You would never know it from looking at your avatar. Yes, I am new to that and to quilting in general, but always wanted to try and have been going to shows and reading about quilting for 30 years.

I was surprised you crazy quilted a bag for a light board... this type of quilt seems more fragile to me and I had been dithering about whether it would make a good purse, so now I have my answer.
And yes! If you could share links to websites with the stitches used in Crazy Quilting I would be most grateful. :D
Old 09-07-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
A few other QB members have asked how to do the box and one asked that i post directions on the topic for everyone...For now, I will just be posting this answer:

I purchased set of 3 paper mache boxes at JoAnn Fabrics. That was the only way I could find the 5” size box that I needed. The 5" size fit the pin cushion lid that I made using an old CD, as directed in the IvoryBlushRoses blogspot. And there isn’t any way I could improve on her directions for the pincushion. She is the originator of that wonderful idea, not me. I only found a neat way to use it.

To cover the bottom, I glued fabric (that I machine quilted before hand) around the sides of a 5" paper mache box that I had already covered with strips of the same fabric on the edges and inside curves. I didn’t want to embellish the sides too much for fear it would visually compete with the lid. Then I made fabric covered circles to fit the inside and outside bottoms and glued those in too. The last step was to make a strip for around the inside of the box. I had originally planned to use the paper mache lid too, but it would not fit on the box after adding all that padding.

Hope that helps answer some of your questions for now.

Have a happy weekend!
Lara
I just wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful, enthusiastic responses to my pincushion/sewing box.
You all have really made my week! And it was a tough week for me, sending my youngest child off to college, so it has been a fun thing to have the Board to come to. The QB has been a really positive force in my life since I chanced upon it and I am most grateful for all you wonderful members, all the inspiration, and the excitement of seeing new ideas!

I've decided to take the time to develop a small tutorial with photos that might better answer people's questions about how to put this pincushion box together. I plan and hope to get this accomplished soon and will post here to notify anyone still checking responses to this topic.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 AM

that is stunning!!! :thumbup:
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 AM

It's absolutely, perfectly beautiful.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Oh my gosh! Crazy Quilting and embellishing is my first love. Your work is fabulous!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM

Too pretty to use!