Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you cut all your threads? >

Do you cut all your threads?

Do you cut all your threads?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 PM

i cut them it drive4s me mad when they dangle and get caught up with each other
Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm a beginner and I cut all the threads as I go...It does look neater I feel great knowing I'm taking pride in what I'm making ( something my sewing teacher said some 45 plus years ago
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
Power Poster

I'm with the majority here. I cut the treads as I go.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have always wondered about the need to cut the threads. Do you cut your threads shorter or leave them dangle on the back of a quilt?

If you cut them - why?
I know this is going to make me sound crazy - maybe I am even lazy, but if the quilt is sandwiched and quilted and bound - who sees the threads and who is going to open it up to look?

I understand when there is dark thread and light fabric - it can show through.

I guess what I have wondered about is if there is a practical reason for cutting them? Would they cause the fabric to wear out or maybe it would someday work its way out a seam?
I cut my threads because some times the darker colors show through to the other sides and do not look nice at all.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:36 AM

I "clean-up" as I sew. Been sewing/quilting too long not to.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I cut my threads .. I just hate working with an un-tidy block. I was raised in a family of sewers , when ever I made anything... they all flipped it to look at the back first , then the front. It was stressed that a good sewer's work was as clean and free of threads as the front. I just can't bring myself to not trim the threads.
My answer exactly. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:15 PM

I whole heartedly concur your view, after all, what would your body look like if a surgeon left thread ends instead of clipping all of them off neatly and precisely. Sloppy work makes me shudder. Libber
Old 04-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
I, too, clip as I go. I guess this comes from general sewing but probably more from needlepoint and cross stitch. I was always taught with those art forms that the back of your work needed to be as neat as the front! Granted I don't go quite as crazy with quilting as I do with the others but I'm not too far off!
I was thinking about the same thing. Have you ever showed someone a cross stitch and/or embroidery piece and have them turn it over and look at the back FIRST? gaaaaaa Of course I would never do that even if I wanted to soooo bad. I always considered it bad manners to look at back first.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 AM

I'm a cutter....like it clean and neat without stragglers. Will do a serious search even though I think I got them all but end up finding a few that I missed. LOL
Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 AM

I forgot to cut the threads on a scrappy quilt I made and You can't see them through the fabric. I now snip them off but not until I've put the quilt top together because I find the seams can come undone easily because I don't backstitch. It's a curse to do at the end though and takes hours.