Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
First Attempt at Hand Quilting >

First Attempt at Hand Quilting

First Attempt at Hand Quilting

Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 AM

I think you did a lovely job. After several more you will finally realize it too. It is nice quiet work, just like hand embroidery, it is great to do it by machine but so much more relaxing and peaceful by hand'
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by grammiepamie
If this is your first attempt APPLAUSE APPLAUSE APPLAUSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My stitches are not consistent. I just can't seem to get them the same length. But yours are just perfect. It's beautiful!!!!!
I agree!!
Hugs
April
Old 10-31-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I agree with what Nstitches wrote. Her's is a good example. I shoot for 9-11 stitches per inch myself. There are two types of hand quilting. An elder lady friend of mine did needlepoint for many years and hers is all stab stitching and it looks gorgeous.
I prefer to rock the needle, but it took me a few years to get that down.

There are some that use a lap hoop, large embroidery hoop, a floor frame, qsnap pvc, lots and lots of quilting choices. I use a lap frame that looks like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barnetts-Lap...item45fd05d499

I also have a floor frame, but no room in my house to put it up. I have learned to prefer the lap frame anyway. Ihave more movement and flexibility in a lap frame. When I tighten the frame around the fabric, I close my fist and push down the center of the quilt a little bit. I make a little indentation that looks like a small cat or puppy could sit in it. If the fabric is too tight in the frame, you cannot rock the needle as easily.

The trick to any hoop or frame is to make sure you don't tighten it over pins. Can ruin the frame or destroy the pins and then you have to cut the pins out of the quilt and make an eternal hole in the fabric. Don't ask me how I know.

Your first effort is better than what I could do in my first year! Consistancy is much more important than size. I worked a long time to get my size manageable...but now I can't figure out how to use bigger stitches and pearl cotton for those larger stitch looks. UGH!!

Keep up the good work!
Thank you for that link. I've bookmarked it. I have in mind to try a quilt I'm working on now, but not until I find a frame I like.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 AM

Like everyone else that has posted, I think you have accomplished so much with your first hand quilting. I would be very HAPPY. I took a class - never knew anyone could "stab" and I did terrible--she was not pleased with my quilting; I was not pleased either or with my poor finger--not real successful with a spoon or thimble. The back was so BAD. I was lucky to catch all three layers every four or five stitches. I have never tried this again. I would like to try the "stab method." I don't think I will be a "Rocker."
Old 10-31-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by merry
It really is lovely; you can be proud of this :thumbup:
Ditto.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM

I think your work is lovely.. Keep it up.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
Recently, I took an online class via Quilt University in hand quilting. I don't imagine it's the worst hand quilting that's ever been done, but it certainly has to be in the top two. Oh well . . . it's the best I can do, and everyone has to start somewhere.

I took the class just to see if it was something I wanted to pursue. The jury is still out on that question, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I'm not happy with the hoop I have, and so suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I couldn't figure out how to rock the needle at all, and so it's strictly stab stitching. That's the way I embroider too. Maybe I'm not cut out for anything else.
I think it is just wonderful!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 AM

WOW! how beautiful. You did an awesome job and are way too hard on yourself. We are always our own worse critics. And you were able to sit still long enough to do that. That in itself is amazing to me.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:12 AM

Beautiful.. from a long time hand quilter. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did great.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:26 AM

Your hand stitching is awesome. I have not gotten the knack for needle rocking either and I stab as you do. I find hand quilting very relaxing. I am wondering if maybe I keep the quilt too tight in the hoop for needle rocking? Any input will be greatly appreciated.