Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 07-06-2016, 06:45 PM

Thought I'd just show you all that I am making progress on my UFO. Today I made 67 background 9P blocks and have 30 more cut and ready to sew. Yep, I need 97 of them for this quilt.

I finished the red ones last year early on before it got set aside once again. Next will be black ones. Not so many of those are needed, thank goodness. LOL
Attached Thumbnails 9-patches-all-row.jpg   more-sew.jpg   red-9-patches-67-background-ones.jpg  
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM

You made 67 9P blocks just TODAY?? Really?! That's crazy fast work. I don't have that kind of stamina. Good for you!
Old 07-07-2016, 02:46 AM

I agree! That's a lot of blocks for one day.

Leta - great sports quilt - the helmets and footballs are a great way to quilt it.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by silliness View Post
Leta-the quilting is just adorable. This inspires me to keep working on my FMQ. One day I will take the leap to move beyond the meander.
Silliness, I used a panto for this. Once I get home, I'll look up the name and publisher.
I love using "themes" - that is, trying to match the panto pattern to the theme of the quilt itself. Or sometimes, the panto is slanted to the recipient's hobbies. I made a friendship quilt for my son-in-law for him to carry to his chemo sessions. His friends and family signed the different blocks, and once I joined the blocks and quilted it, the quilting was music notes and music symbols. He plays in his church band.

If any of you are using mid-arm/long-arm machines, there are SO MANY pantos out there, I strongly suggest that you do a little digging and see what super-cute pantos there are that would really complement your quilt.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
You made 67 9P blocks just TODAY?? Really?! That's crazy fast work. I don't have that kind of stamina. Good for you!
Oh, No, goodness, I'm sorry if that was misleading!! I had already made the stripsets and cut them into the subsets of three 2.5" squares. I did that last week and earlier this week.

All I did yesterday was sew them into the 9P blocks!!! If I had made them all from scratch, DH would have been driving me to the hospital!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Oh, No, goodness, I'm sorry if that was misleading!! I had already made the stripsets and cut them into the subsets of three 2.5" squares. I did that last week and earlier this week.

All I did yesterday was sew them into the 9P blocks!!! If I had made them all from scratch, DH would have been driving me to the hospital!!!

phew! I thought that was superhuman! But still. Sewing that many sets into blocks is quite an accomplishment!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:52 PM

Default June Tally

I'm finally getting you your June tally. We've had a slowdown of major proportion, but summer's here so who wants to sit inside? Happily, we have Toot Toots going out to Silliness, RetiredTeacher09, HappyLab, MadQuilter, Glojean, Jaba, Anoka Quilter and Rryder for a combined total of 10 finished UFOs for June. Toot, Toot Quilters! That brings this year's total through the first half of the year to 249. Wow. 249 UFOs grabbed from obscurity and made real.

Congratulations to all who are continuing to work on their UFOs. It doesn't matter how fast you work on them, only that you are. They'll get done if you just keep at it!

Let's see if the second half of the year will be able to keep this train moving onwards!
Old 07-07-2016, 02:02 PM

As soon as the binding is completed, the hardest part for me, will have five to report. Yippee, give me a couple more days. Yep, getting there. Two of them are Christmas Tree Skirts that were started a few years ago. OOps me.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:03 PM

Oh, and Congrats to you all who had finishes for June. Terrific job!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
I'm finally getting you your June tally. We've had a slowdown of major proportion, but summer's here so who wants to sit inside? Happily, we have Toot Toots going out to Silliness, RetiredTeacher09, HappyLab, MadQuilter, Glojean, Jaba, Anoka Quilter and Rryder for a combined total of 10 finished UFOs for June. Toot, Toot Quilters! That brings this year's total through the first half of the year to 249. Wow. 249 UFOs grabbed from obscurity and made real.

Congratulations to all who are continuing to work on their UFOs. It doesn't matter how fast you work on them, only that you are. They'll get done if you just keep at it!

Let's see if the second half of the year will be able to keep this train moving onwards!
Yay for 249 ! Considering we're at precisely the midpoint of the year as of the last of June, can we shoot for 500 by Dec 31? What was our 2015 total?