Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece >

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM

Wow, all of you have left such amazing, wonderful comments! I have read each and every one and my smile is so big it hurts my cheeks! ;) It is so nice to know that my feelings resonate with so many people. I'm not a particularly insecure person, but when you're doing something you love like this, and you put it out there for others to see, you become vulnerable. I don't know what it is about turning 30, but as so many of you have mentioned, this sure has been the year where I've found some clarity in regards to what is important, and what is not. We all KNOW what is important...but often times it's very hard to truly LET GO of all that nonsense that holds us back.

I can't thank you enough for all the positive, encouraging comments and stories. There just is just so much negativity out there these days, it feels WONDERFUL to be here and be a part of this little community where people really support each other. :)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:22 PM

Hi Pumpkin Patch: I am so glad you posted about everything not having to be a master or perfect quilt. I am much older than you and have only learned a few years ago to let go of "perfectionism". It was driving me crazy and I believe that's why I didn't finish things sometimes. Like if I couldn't get it perfect, I would just leave it til later. Now I realize the only time I get close to perfection is when I get down on my knees and pray because the Lord Jesus is the only perfect thing in the universe! When I realized that I was set free in so many ways... thanks for letting me vent also...
Old 08-12-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
This is the lesson I am slowly learning. I have been quilting for 6 years, and as a new quilter I surrounded myself with some of THE most knowledgeable, and intimidating quilters in the area. I was 24 years old, green and new to the quilting world when I began. As I progressed I felt like I had to do BIGGER, BETTER, and GREATER to be taken even a little bit seriously by these women who were much older than me and knew what seemed to be SO very much more than me about quilting. If I wasn't getting snubbed for my age I was getting snubbed for my skill level. I am an artist at heart, all I wanted for years when I was young was to go to art school. That unfortunately never happened for me as I started a family early, and many of you know just how hard it is to go back to school with small children. But it was a blessing, truly, because my family is my world, and making a quilt for my daughter was what brought me to find my life's passion in quilting. All of this combined with a really awful experience with a quilt shop owner who hired me to teach a class but then treated me so rudely as if I didn't know a darn thing I was talking about has left me with this need to prove myself artistically and I feel like for the past several years I've been on this personal MISSION to prove to anybody and EVERYBODY that I am capapble, I am skilled, and gosh darnit, I'm artistic!!!

You know what? I refuse to live with that insecurity any longer, I know who I am and what I can do. Here I am. I am 30 years old, I'm a Mother first and foremost, second a wife, and third I'm a dedicated quilter. I have finally learned that FOR ME, every quilt doesn't need to be a masterpiece. Every quilt that I create does not have to knock everybody's socks off, and it doesn't have to encase all the techniques I have learned in the past 6 years to PROVE that I am a capable quilter. That is not to say I don't do the best I can with every quilt, but a corner that doesn't match perfectly doesn't always need to be ripped and resewn. Every project doesn't need to be the hardest and most complicated project I've ever done. I adore challenging projects but a simple nine patch quilt can be just as satisfying to complete as the most complicated paper pieced mariners compass.

Thanks for the vent. Just thought I'd share that little revelation, because I know I'm not the only one who feels like they need to prove themselves to the local quilting veterans. ;)
At 83, I have learned there will ALWAYS be someone smarter, cleverer, more artistic, more skilled, more talented, prettier, better dressed etc, etc, etc. You don't have to impress anyone but yourself. Be happy with what you do and how well you do it. Remember to compliment someone everyday on a pretty blouse, a lovely color they're wearing. or an unusual tote. Their smile will make your day. Oh, and theirs too.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
This is the lesson I am slowly learning. I have been quilting for 6 years, and as a new quilter I surrounded myself with some of THE most knowledgeable, and intimidating quilters in the area. I was 24 years old, green and new to the quilting world when I began. As I progressed I felt like I had to do BIGGER, BETTER, and GREATER to be taken even a little bit seriously by these women who were much older than me and knew what seemed to be SO very much more than me about quilting. If I wasn't getting snubbed for my age I was getting snubbed for my skill level. I am an artist at heart, all I wanted for years when I was young was to go to art school. That unfortunately never happened for me as I started a family early, and many of you know just how hard it is to go back to school with small children. But it was a blessing, truly, because my family is my world, and making a quilt for my daughter was what brought me to find my life's passion in quilting. All of this combined with a really awful experience with a quilt shop owner who hired me to teach a class but then treated me so rudely as if I didn't know a darn thing I was talking about has left me with this need to prove myself artistically and I feel like for the past several years I've been on this personal MISSION to prove to anybody and EVERYBODY that I am capapble, I am skilled, and gosh darnit, I'm artistic!!!

You know what? I refuse to live with that insecurity any longer, I know who I am and what I can do. Here I am. I am 30 years old, I'm a Mother first and foremost, second a wife, and third I'm a dedicated quilter. I have finally learned that FOR ME, every quilt doesn't need to be a masterpiece. Every quilt that I create does not have to knock everybody's socks off, and it doesn't have to encase all the techniques I have learned in the past 6 years to PROVE that I am a capable quilter. That is not to say I don't do the best I can with every quilt, but a corner that doesn't match perfectly doesn't always need to be ripped and resewn. Every project doesn't need to be the hardest and most complicated project I've ever done. I adore challenging projects but a simple nine patch quilt can be just as satisfying to complete as the most complicated paper pieced mariners compass.

Thanks for the vent. Just thought I'd share that little revelation, because I know I'm not the only one who feels like they need to prove themselves to the local quilting veterans. ;)
It's what's in your heart that counts, and doing what you love with love, you don't need to prove anything to anyone. If someone wants to condemn, it is on them and shows what is in their heart. Kick the dust off and keep moving.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 AM

Good for you. Now quilting will be more fun! :thumbup:
Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Bless your heart! If the shop owner was so perfect, why didn't SHE teach the class? Your quilting must be impressive enough if she asked you to teach. I would say she bears part of the blame if she didn't give you suggestions (Do you have guidelines for what to bring to class? Do you have a handout in case someone falls behind, & needs to finish at home? Do you have contact information if someone needs to get in touch with you?etc.)
Of course, these are only things you find out AFTER you teach & falter.Don't let someone else's criteria determine your path.
My job was so stressful that I turned to quilting as an outlet/hobby/avocation. When asked why I would pursue something that required "SO MANY DECISIONS?", my response was that no one would ever be hurt by my choices in quilting. It's not critical -it's a personal expression of creativity. As long as it satisfies that need in me, then it's a success.
And, each person has his/her own reason for each quilt.
Enjoy yourself & let the criticism roll off your back. It's not brain surgery & it's cheaper than therapy!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Congratulations on seeing the light. Your best quilts happen when you are happy with what you are doing. The first law of any artist in all its fields [except commercial] is it's up to you to please yourself. Only good things can come when you have the confidence to do what you want.
My quilts are not complicated, but I like what I do and others ask to have one made. We have a half hour talk about what they want and what I can do for them and that my quilt evolve as time goes by. They learn quilt making isn't as easy as going to the store, [I always say they try that first] and in the end they get what we agreed upon and I get paid. Both happy and very little stress.
Big hug for your strength of mind.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM

amen.quilts are to be used and loved-they can be great without being intricate or perfect.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
mim

It makes such a difference -- when I worked with ladies in assisted living and nursing homes, a compliment really was so appreciated by them -- a personal pat on the back made a happy day. And I really found that each one had something that I could remark on, -- and it made my day, too.

[quote)
Remember to compliment someone everyday on a pretty blouse, a lovely color they're wearing. or an unusual tote. Their smile will make your day. Oh, and theirs too.[/quote]
Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 AM

Very well said. I too needed everything to be perfect which often led to not wanting to quilt. When I finally realized that it was okay if points did not meet perfectly it was like a weight being lifted off my shoulders. My quilting became more productive which actually led to more practice. Don't they say that practice makes perfect Well I'm still waiting for that perfect:)