Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • If You Could Chose One from >
  • If You Could Chose One from

• If You Could Chose One from

Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 AM

Amen to the God providing statement. As for me, hummm, family gatherings that were more than once a year. We would have family picnics often as we were growing up. We actually knew our cousins and aunts and uncles. I cherrish them all and still keep in touch too. But families today don't seem to do that much.
    Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
    can I add to this even though I didn't live in "the old days"? But I would love to have people write letters to each other. how I love looking through my grandparents and great grandparents letters to each other that my grandma saved. so romantic! but also I have an old car that's not too automated so my dad can fix most of the things by himself which he's also trying to teach me though I don't know what good it will do me in oh, I don't know, 20 years?
    Sarahrachel, you sound like you're a very sweet and humble person. THIS is the kind of people I'd love to meet more of. Unfortunately, todays upbeat world has spoiled a lot of people....thus the longing for the "Good Old Days". And I would like to have a clothes line like Mom had, a long pole with the slit in the middle to hold the line up. A wood stove?! Sounds so nice, I live in a basement apt with One heating and A/C duct, we freeze in the winter and fry in the summer!!
    Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K
    Originally Posted by sarahrachel
    can I add to this even though I didn't live in "the old days"? But I would love to have people write letters to each other. how I love looking through my grandparents and great grandparents letters to each other that my grandma saved. so romantic! but also I have an old car that's not too automated so my dad can fix most of the things by himself which he's also trying to teach me though I don't know what good it will do me in oh, I don't know, 20 years?
    Sarahrachel, you sound like you're a very sweet and humble person. THIS is the kind of people I'd love to meet more of. Unfortunately, todays upbeat world has spoiled a lot of people....thus the longing for the "Good Old Days". And I would like to have a clothes line like Mom had, a long pole with the slit in the middle to hold the line up. A wood stove?! Sounds so nice, I live in a basement apt with One heating and A/C duct, we freeze in the winter and fry in the summer!!
    don't worry, I fry in the summer as well as we don't have central air and my bedroom is on the third floor. and I have my parents to thank for how I am as they don't like my generation. and thank you for the compliment :)
    Old 10-26-2011, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    people still believed God would provide their needs - now they think the government will provide their wants as well as their needs
    :thumbup:

I wish we'd once again have Constitutional freedom and a total reversal of all the havoc the Red Diaper Doper babies have wrought in all areas of life.
    Old 06-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Gee-whiz, naming off just one or two is such a tease. Not even fair.

Rotary telephone (wall-mounted). I loved our old phone!
    Party-lines (anyone else remember the days)?
    Wringer washing machine and clothesline drying (I still hang laundry on the line to dry)
    Cloth diapers and rubber pants (my kids always had fresh clean diapers for their bottoms)
    Old 06-22-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    An automobile (non-computerized) that could be fixed at home by my brothers!
    I have one. It does have it's advantages.

I'm not joined at the hip to my electronics. I wish people could just put them away and pay attention to what is actually going on around them. I'm so tired of having to watch out for driver's who are too busy texting or talking to drive and people in the stores and supermarkets who are on their phones and run into you or block aisles and have no idea there are others around.
    Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    I have one. It does have it's advantages.

I'm not joined at the hip to my electronics. I wish people could just put them away and pay attention to what is actually going on around them. I'm so tired of having to watch out for driver's who are too busy texting or talking to drive and people in the stores and supermarkets who are on their phones and run into you or block aisles and have no idea there are others around.
    I am sop with you on the electronic gadgetry today! It's completely overrun people's lives. Sitting in a restaurant and watching people, they sit down and don't even converse with one another, because they're too busy on their devices.
    Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Yes to all of the above! Plus having neighbors I know and who help each other. Don't know or trust most around here. Porch swings, folks out in the evening...
    Old 06-22-2017, 10:37 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Momma_K
    Hi All! I was thinking how easy things of yesterday used to be, less complicating, somehow missing the less modern things of then.
    If you could chose just one thing, ok maybe two...what would it be?? I'll start by saying, I really would love to have and actually use a nice old wringer washer!
    I didn't mind the extra work, clothes were cleaner, less water waist and nothing beat clean sheets and towels hanging on the line!! :-D
    I had a wringer washer for many many years - as did my mother and my mother-in-law.

By the time the dirty farm clothes were put in the washer, the water was getting very murky - in some cases it was close to thin mud and there was a layer of dirt in the bottom of the machine that had to be flushed out.
    So - were clothes cleaner? I don't know how one can get clean clothes out of dirty water. They were less dirty after going through murky rinses than they were before they were washed - but not nearly as clean as if these filthy garments had been the first batch of items washed.

The guys would wear their work/farm/barn/mecahnic clothes/coveralls until they were very very dirty - my mom described it as "being able to stand up by themselves".
    Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 AM
    Power Poster

When one carried water to the washing machine and carried water out - it made one very conscious of water usage.