Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Fun Halloween Block Swap ....      In the mail everyone!!.. >

Fun Halloween Block Swap .... In the mail everyone!!..

Fun Halloween Block Swap .... In the mail everyone!!..

Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
OK...here is what I've done...DH says it looks like a green blob on a tree....what does it need girls (and guys if any signed up)... the top of the broom??? Hand embroidery some extra straws for the broom so it looks better?? ( It think I'll do that one anyway..) But any ideas????

Editted to say that her legs are much brighter and the hat and cape are more teal type green...ipod pic..sorry I'm lazy.
Woooo I hope I get one of these....
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
Thanks all for your help...I'll play with her a little more...*shaking head...men.....why would I have expected him to know??? LOL! Even he said, "Well, your friends probably will get it immediately! LOL"*

Gotcha Red...I am making 7- 1 for me and if I have time maybe a couple of extra to swap for both my sets.

Donna...make your blocks----no sashing....any size that is divisable by 3. My block of the witch is finished at 6" x 9", so I will mail it 6 1/2" x 9 1/2" without sashing. Clear now??
Ok, yes I do get it now, thanks for your help! :thumbup:
Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 PM

I have one set done and working on the second set now!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Wow...speedy!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:24 PM

I really want to work something up for this swap.
I love halloween.

But you guys are so good, I am worried my blocks will not be good enough.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by wanda lou
I love halloween.

Wanda, I'm knew to quilting too and this is my way of getting practice. Small projects, to look forward to bigger ones...Come and join us we all have to start somewhere!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 PM

Ok, I drew the skull and painted the eyes with black fabric pen, my question is do you think it looks ok, honest opinion...

And should I zig-zag around all of them?

The candy corn, pumkin, cat, trick a treat bag are paper piece, and the skull and ghost is applique (hope I spelled that right)

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/[/img]
Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hooked
This question has probably already been asked but can the blocks be of different things such as witch, skelteon, etc. or do all the block have to be the same pattern? Thanks
Yes they can be either all the same or all different. I think it is up to you. Most of the gals have been making 6 alike. But that isn't a rule. I think it is easier to make six all the same once you figure out what you want to make. But, like I said, not a rule.

The blocks are any size that is divisable by 3. (up to 12 inches) You must add a seam allowance of a half inch. So a 3 by 9 block would measure out to be 3 1/2 x 9 1/2 before it is sewn into your quilt. ( That is the unfinished sized ... see?)

Some people will add a border as part of the design. That is fine too. I don't want to limit the creativity of the group. Just remember that a quarter inch will be sewn into the seam allowance so allow for that, ok and add enough to make it something wider then where the seam allowance will fall?

I hope this explains the questions so far. But, if it doesn't don't feel strange. Just ask again. I am not good at explaining sometimes.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wanda lou
I love halloween.

Wanda lou ....

Now, don't be silly!! We will have all types of wonderful blocks from all levels of quilters. Your blocks will be welcomed and I know you would have fun. Don't worry and have fun with them. This is how we learn, right?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

[quote=Lv2sew2011]Ok, I drew the skull and painted the eyes with black fabric pen, my question is do you think it looks ok, honest opinion...

And should I zig-zag around all of them?

The candy corn, pumkin, cat, trick a treat bag are paper piece, and the skull and ghost is applique (hope I spelled that right)

Hi donna ... These are cute! I was wondering when someone would make a skull or skelleton! If the applique is only ironed on, then yes it will need some stitching around it to finish it off.

I love what you are doing here. I am sure the people coming in to see these will love them too. Your fabrics are great! I love the spooktacular line of fabrics.