Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece >

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Every Quilt Doesn't Have to be a Masterpiece

Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we are all artists - and there aren't any mistakes in art. That is according to Sesame Street. If it's good enough for our kids it's good enough for me.
Yesssss! Quilting is an art! It is an expression! There are rules!

In my opinion, sometimes you want to do a quilt to show off the pattern--sometimes that can get complicated. But simpler quilts can do a much better job of showing off the print--the fabric is the star!

However, I must say, all the pics I've seen on here look like beautiful masterpieces to me!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM

Those ladies sound like some I used to know. They didn't make quilts. It was alway a wall hanging, a table runner, or a sofa back cover. These ladies got together on weekends and one would cut, another would sew and another would iron. All assembly line fashion. Beautiful work but to me there was always something missing. It think it was individuality. Each and every quilt I have seen here on QB has that. Pumpkinpatch, your quilt is beautiful!
Old 08-12-2011, 02:33 PM

amen
Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Congrats! Accepting and loving ones self is the most challenging task to master in any creative endeavour. If I can accept that I'm not perfect then I can cut the rest of the world some slack too. Do I wish to enjoy my hobby or for it to be the cause of my stroke or heart attack. We tend to all be very sensitive when we are artistic becasue we think out of the box and people that never deviate from the pattern, or make small changes, don't understand how we function. Many artist never show their work until after they're dead because they can't deal with anyone critiquing their work. I have a son like that. You are so far ahead in your life by being able to be who you are and love yourself just as you are. You GO GIRL and don't ever go back to trying to be what y ou thinks others want you to be. {{{HUGS}}} and happy creativing always. :thumbup:
Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 PM

Good for you. Now you can relax and have FUN with our passion! We tend to be our biggest critics, and the sooner we learn the lesson you just voiced extremely well, the better!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 PM

I always am amazed at the quilt winners in the shows but I quilt to make people happy so while there may be an award in the future, I am just as happy with getting smiles and hugs.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:23 PM

I quilt because I love doing it regardless of what people say. I'm the one who have very happy grandkids with the quilt I made for them. The love and smile on their little faces is truly priceless.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:07 AM
gus

Originally Posted by PegD
I agree. I see all the wonderful longarm quilting on here, and think I should be able to do that on mine, but all I can really do is stippling. It holds the quilt together, so I guess that is the point.
Glad to see this I do the same thing.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:19 AM

After quilting for so long, I'm fairly accomplished. But my knowledge is for sharing and encouraging other people to express themselves. Its a huge compliment when someone brings me a project gone wrong and asks for help. Its a case of paying it forward from all the warm and friendly quilters who taught this baby quilter.

Everyone should learn this lesson.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we are all artists - and there aren't any mistakes in art. That is according to Sesame Street. If it's good enough for our kids it's good enough for me.
Yea....and ever seen any of Picasso's work? If his paintings can be considered "great art", when to me they just look like child's paintings....or some of those "splatter" paintings (you know, the one where the artist just took a brush, dipped it in paint and flung it at the canvas)....well, if stuff like that is considered "great art" then why do we, as quilters, get soooooo bent out of shape about a point that doesn't match, or quilt stitches that aren't exactly even every single stitch????? Isn't the point of our quilting, our art, to express ourselves, to enjoy the process, to relax, to learn more about ourselves and our art????

If quilting is all about "one-up-manship" count me out.....I do this for me.....and if others are too enmeshed in themselves to not applaud me, even with my "mis-matched" points...then forget them...life is just tooooo dog-gone short.....and I have better things to do with my time than worry about them....

Way to go, pumpkinpatch, you keep going forward....and you will find that all your quilts are full of "wowiness" (love that word!) because they are an expression of you.... and that is wowy enough!!!!!!!!