Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 01-19-2016, 06:43 AM

I got some work done on my shelves. I had fabric overflowing in bins. I ordered some rectangle bins from Thirty-One and they came yesterday. I already have them filled and now I need 8 more. The mess on the floor hasn't gotten better since I shifted focus on the shelves. [ATTACH=CONFIG]540567[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 01-19-2016, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the home tour, Notwendy...sounds like Macybaby and equigle5 are making progress.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:20 AM

Here are some progress pictures taken this morning.

The red folded and on the shelf.

And the pile of yellow/golds/oranges.

I find I can tackle a pile like this - grab a stack a day and it get done and I can "see" progress as the pile goes down rather fast. I pull the curtains and then I can pretend the rest is not there, and I don't get overwhelmed (and depressed) by it.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:22 AM

NotWendy--your stash looks so happy and inviting!

I think we could do some serious therapy to each other's sewing rooms if we showed up ready to dive in!
Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Banned

I LIKE that plan LOL.

Need all the help I can get.

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
Zozee, I think this group needs to form a strike team to show up at each other's places and sort and file each other's stuff. It would be like a traveling slumber party. : )
Old 01-19-2016, 11:20 AM

Macybaby - you are probably finding all sorts of fabrics you hadn't seen since purchase. Plus, once you have your fabric sorted by colors, you will have an opportunity to fill in any gaps on the color wheel. Wow - I really need to do that.

Equigle5 - it will all come together - probably sooner than you think. Those are nice fabric bins - esp with the see through window. I think you'll like the look of them better than a variety of bins or sterilite containers.

I've been really helped by the ideas on this post (thanks, Zozee!). I have a hard time breaking down tasks, so they often feel overwhelming. The 15 minutes here and there really add up. Next I'm going to use the 15 minute approach to touch some of my ufos (now that I've dug them out from under piles of other stuff).
Old 01-19-2016, 11:32 AM

Also, thank y'all for the kind comments on my loft. Trying to sew in it and keep some sort of order has been a work in progress. I actually got the inspiration for the screen (and then added the green panel screens) while on this thread.

Sometimes I wish I had a least a door to close (on the cats, or a mess, etc) but having an open floor plan keeps my tendency to spread out and take over space in check (mostly).

My twin prefers Arts & Crafts style (lots of oak) and my little sister prefers more classic styles (lots of cherry & mahogany). Both like our loft but say they couldn't live in it - too distracting. : ) So I guess they won't be fighting each other for my royal purple velvet couch.

They also don't see how we survive without a stove. I just tell them I can boil water with a much smaller appliance. : )
Old 01-19-2016, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
NotWendy--your stash looks so happy and inviting!

I think we could do some serious therapy to each other's sewing rooms if we showed up ready to dive in!
Wouldn't that be fun? A group effort with wine. Granted, the stacks might not be as uniform later in the process.

I've always found it easier to do someone else's tasks rather than mine. It just seems more fun somehow.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:43 PM

I found some fabric while rummaging through a closet. It got put away in the right place. Rulers got put back where they belong after use. Something I don't do regularly. This thread is helping me to develop better habits. i like it. Thanks again for starting it.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:47 PM

I used the past 15 minutes to tidy up my scrap bins. I like looking at them now, lids on, labels facing front, a small job done!