Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What inspired you to start quilting? >

What inspired you to start quilting?

What inspired you to start quilting?

Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 AM

I've been in love with fabric since I was about 6. A neighbor's GM entertained several of us that summer, teaching us to make doll clothes and quilts all by hand. Started seriously sewing about 12 and haven't stopped. Taken a few breaks throughout the years but I always go back to fabric and quilting. Had an Aunt who was a quilter but other than her I'm the only sewer/crafter in the family.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 AM

I took sewing in 7th grade back in 1970 and made an apron. I thought it was so easy. 4 years later I was married and making clothes for my daughter. Skip ahead to early 1980's, walked into the Golden Age Hobby Shop in German Village in Columbus, Ohio and signed up to take a quilting lesson. I was 1 of 7 women, the youngest in my 30's being taught by 65 year old. Most of what I learned was stitching using a hoop. Skip ahead to 1998. My daughter worked with a women named Debbie whose son was in Iraq and I made and completed my first quilt and have never looked back. (Mainly because when I do, all I see is fabric behind me.) It's a wonderful life.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:49 AM

Noone in my family quilts...a friend of mine mentioned that she quilts as a hobby and I thought that was cool. she said why don't we do a trip around the world in a day...she came over early in the morning and we worked on it till 9pm...top was completed. Then the following weekend she showed me how to put it together and bind...Now...I was a person who did not even know how to sew or cuter a rotary cutter...so she showed me how to do that too...she hooked me...so she makes a few quilts a year and I am the once a month nut...its not a cheap hobby...as I thought it would be when I started. I am one that had no clue how much it costs to make a quilt. Now when I see one I am more of an Aaawwww person....
Old 04-16-2011, 03:02 AM

I have been sewing since I was 10 yrs old. But started quilting with my DMIL soon after I got married, to get to know her. She only did hand quilting and really turned her nose up to machine quilting. So for years that was my additude also. Now I know better.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:10 AM

I've sewed since I was a young girl, but I made mostly garmets. When I was a young unmarried woman I made a pieced pillowtop. I have always loved fabric, but being a working mom, I felt that I didn't have the time or patience to do much hand sewing. Several years ago, when my daughter was expecting her first child I decided to make him a quilt. I bought a kit containing some of the sock monkey fabric and a simple pattern and proceeded to make several other baby quilts. When I realized that I didn't have to hand quilt my work I started making all kinds of projects. Now I'm retired and sew everyday. I still enjoy making baby quilts, but I also make many larger quilts and several styles of handbags.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

I always liked making things but didn't quilt until a friend and I signed up for a class. She wanted someone to go with her.
That did it for me!! :)
Old 04-16-2011, 04:17 AM

My sister got me into quilting when I retired from teaching in 1996.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:23 AM

I used to make my kid clothes when they were little. One day at a friends house she was quilting and i watched in awe. That's when it hit me..20 yrs ago! My first ever quilt was a log cabin lap quilt. That was about 150 quilts ago :!: Back then not too many people were into it. it's so nice that so many are now HOOKED! If not we would not have this site :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 04-16-2011, 04:23 AM

I learned to sew from my DGM and used to make ALL of my clothes and some of my children's clothes and now make dresses for my DGD's. I remember helping my DGM use paints on blocks of animals(I still have this quilt) and cutting out shapes for blocks w/scissors. I didn't do much more than this until my DM thought I needed something to keep me busy when I became disabled. My DM inherited all the quilts, WIP's and UFO's of her mother's and gave some of these to get me started. The first quilt I made was a king-size scrappy quilt for my only DD and it's still together,lol! I try to sew every day as a stress reliever. I've learned alot since and LOVE this board for all the wealth of information that's available to us.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:44 AM

Like a lot of you, I started sewing as a kid; both my DGM & DM were seamstresses, so you could say it's genetic. When I was a young mom and many friends were having babies, I started making patchwork baby quilts as a gift or would make a panel quilt as a gift. My most adventurous quilt was a patchwork baby quilt made for my Sis in law when she had her daughter. It had pink gingham & white eyelet patches with a heart of pink gingham appliqued on the white eyelet stitched with an edging around the heart of gathered lace. I pieced the squares, stitched the top & back together with batting sandwiched, and then turned it right side out & freehand stitched the hearts onto the eyelet squares. I still can't believe I did it & it turned out so beautifully! Worst of all, I don't have any pictures of it! But fast forward to 5 years ago, when the "ladies of the lake" by our cottage, pulled me into their quilting mania! Now I'm hooked really good!! LOL! Yesterday, I went in to Joann's to spend $20 & walked out $80 later!! Yagotme!