Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Canadian Quilters, do you shop online?.....best places? >
  • Canadian Quilters, do you shop online?.....best places?

• Canadian Quilters, do you shop online?.....best places?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:33 AM

I have ordered from Keepsake quilting , I wanted a quilt kit and yes the customs got me :( For the most part I shop at Fabricland when they have their 50% of members sales which is on this week from the 5th -7th.
    sass
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sassylass
    I have ordered from Keepsake quilting , I wanted a quilt kit and yes the customs got me :( For the most part I shop at Fabricland when they have their 50% of members sales which is on this week from the 5th -7th.
    sass
    Yes, I shop there too...it's called Fabricville here. They sometimes have nice fabrics on sale and I use my card.
    Old 06-26-2014, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I often order from this eBay site: http://stores.ebay.com/CROWSNESTQUIL...&_sop=10&_vc=1

They will ship to Canada.
    I too buy from Crownsnestquiltingfabrics on ebay and their P&B and Red Rooster fabrics are wonderful.
    Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 AM

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/
    Old 06-27-2014, 07:52 AM

Shipping from the US is so expensive, I limit my online shopping to Canadian stores only. Many will offer free shipping in Canada for orders over a certain amount. My fave is sew-sisters.com - located in Toronto.
    Old 08-18-2014, 01:11 PM

You mentioned selling bag/tote, have you approached your local fabric/quilt shop who could sell for you.. Here in Wpg is THE FORKS they sold some really ugly looking bags, kept a commission. I received a teeny cheque once they are sold. Then word of mouth.. Some quilting shops might be interested in a commission or you could teach a class.. Asking is free!
    Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM

I've worked for Revenue Canada preparing forms and ladies were selling their personal crafts left/right, management didn't stop it, they were encouraging them... From what I understand that wasn't allowed.
    Old 08-19-2014, 03:51 AM

I always check the shipping and manufacturer. If the goods are made in the US, there is no duty, but you will pay HST. If they are shipping UPS, you will get hit with duty and HST PLUS brokerage fees. If they ship by USPS, they often will not bother with charging anything.

Having said all that, since I don't live near the border, I usually wait and shop when I go over the border.
    Old 06-21-2016, 03:30 PM

From Manitoba/Canada, online shop twice a yr. Either Missouri, connecting threads or fat quarter shop.. Now Missouri has a direct line with Keystone quilting in Wpg Manitoba, avoiding much of the shipping costs. Other than that do much recycle from quild donations or thrift shops.. Once a mth visit local shops in Wpg different one each month, that's my go to holiday, and stop for a real good burger/fries on way home.. All that long transit excursion on a crowded bus gets me tired so coming home, happy set the whirlpool on 10min to rest my aches and good for bed..Very special day when can get out, because winter is so tough..
    Old 06-21-2016, 04:10 PM

I don't buy fabric willy-nilly, so I shop twice a year, and it's a big amount (usually around $500-$600). BUT, I've planned all my projects, and know exactly what I want.

I buy lots of stuff from Joanne's, Craftsy, Missouri Quilts and when I want odds and ends, I buy from ebay. I don't keep it to just people in Canada - as long as the shipping is cheap, I'm not going to object.

With my left-overs from projects I make scrappy quilts, or other quilts that I hadn't thought of LOL