Kitty that doesn't shed?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm, don't know really. maybe ask a Vet's office or a rescue place. I have 3 shedding cats but they have never clawed my furniture.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

I make my own cat scratching posts, and rub cat nip all over them, and the cats will scratch that.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:24 AM

My furbaby - see avatar - sheds. I use a regular hair brush on him and he really enjoys it. Still get some fur, but not as bad, I took him because he had been declawed and was about to be turned out to fend for himself. He is the greatest, sweetest baby (since my last one that died). I think rescue furbabies are the best.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I have a white indoor cat and even brushing him every day I still had hair everywhere. A new young vet interning at my vet's office told me to change the cat's food to holistic food. He said that will help with the shedding. I switched the food to Blue brand and I can tell a big difference not having so much shedding. I switched my dog to Blue and noticed a big difference in less poop from them both! My dog shedding problem has reduced too. Blue has no filler so more is digested.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Unlike the clawed predators of the wild - our kitty simply loved being domesticated - she enjoys spring haircuts and cuddling on your pillow while you sleep as well.

FWIW: We've experienced much success using the shortest attachment of our Wahl electric hair clipper with a vacuum cleaner attachment - starting at the head and ending at tail the vacuum lifts the hair for the clipper to cut.

BTW: Has anyone ever experienced the involuntary muscle twitching of a cat dreaming or the muscle vibrations when your cat is kneading you?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 PM

I have 2 rescue cats. One is a half Siamese, he loves being brushed with a human brush, the other is a declawed white Persian, who absolutely loathes being brushed. I have to do it while she is rubbing against my legs and I use a rough rubber glove and get masses of hair off her that way. Still, there are little piles of fur under the book cases that look like white mice!!! Have to vacuum more often since she came, but she is such a love I do it and am glad I have her.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
There is a device at pet store that is called the Furminator, works really well to keep a kitty clean. I have run a slicker over my cats and then De-furminated them and there is a huge bunch of fur still left. I advice doing it outside if possible.

I don't want to start an "issue" but declawing a cat is not like having your fingernails cut, it's more like having your fingers cut at the first joint. I feel very sorry for kitties that have had this done. They have no defenses so I've seen them develop bad biting habits since it's the only way they have of protecting themselves. I hope you will consider not doing it to your new kitty.
Furminator is awesome! We are using it on out most hairy girl (Isla) this spring instead of clipping and the shedding is a lot less. It works best on those that have a double coat with the longer guard hairs on top and FUZZ undercoat. It strips that fuss really well.

Teddi won't put up with any kind of brushing but she is not a big shedder anyway.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
there are hairless cats out there, but they are very expensive.
Not to mention UGLY! (hope nobody on here has one)
Old 05-09-2011, 02:05 PM

There are the Sphinx and the Rex. Actually, the Rex cats have very short hair. Unfortunately, all purebred cats are pricy. I found this Rex cat website: http://www.therexcatsite.com/. I am sure there are others. You might see if there is a cat rescue for these cats.

Someone mentioned declawing. The better option is to get a kitten and train it to accept getting its nails clipped. I clip my cat's nails and it works.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 PM

I had both my cats declawed when I got them as kittens and I WILL NEVER EVER DO IT AGAIN! I didn't read up on it until they got home and it just looked so painful. After I read about it being like taking your finger off at the first knuckle, well, I care a lot more about living things than furniture!