Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dealing with remodel issues >

Dealing with remodel issues

Dealing with remodel issues

Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 AM

I can't begin to tell you the depth of my hots for Mike Holmes. ;-)
LOL I hear ya!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:50 AM

In my opinion you should tell the company that they need to put you up in a hotel until the job is done. First and foremost................did these guys measure your bathrooms before they ordered the vinyl? There is absolutely no excuse for this.

Did I hear someone say Mike Holmes? OMG I loooooooooove that man. Does he even know how sexy he is?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:06 AM

Suggestion...check with the SUB contractors to make sure they are paying their bills to the suppliers and their men. One of my friends had an addition to her home put in and when the contractor left town suddenly, she found that the workers put a lien on her house. She wound up paying for it twice. She learned an expensive lesson. After that, when she had to have some work done on her house, she had the contractor order the materials, she went down and paid for them and had them sent to HER house, which a lot of the previous supplies weren't. And she did remember to question the men every Friday if or if not had they been paid!! And I think she questioned the state board as to the second contractor's record in his previous jobs.
That's another thing most folks never think of. You get his number, which you really should have on the contract, then you can check it out easily enough. Should anyone "not remember it but I'll get back to you" or not have a license plate on their truck, or can't remember their new phone number, any one of those should be red flags that should be noticed and acted on.
Sigh...you can't trust anyone it seems.
Plus, before signing a contract, ask for the names and addresses of everyone they had worked for in the last 3 years or so. We did that when we had a new roof put on, but only got part of the "lookers" to comply with that. The one we chose gave us not only names and addresses, he put down the total footage of each roof and what it was made of, tile, concrete, etc. Really did have a good record, since we did check with a few of them.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM

Take pictures of the work, before, several during and after, right afterwards. All around pictures and of each and every section worked on. And let him or the workers know you're keeping track of what he/they are doing.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 PM

I feel sorry for you. You can feel like you can't get anything done right any more. I am at the beganing of home repair have a sink hole under my house. They have to pore under pressure grout (I think it is gunite a form of cement). When the first guy came he was diging holes to test the ground broke my water line.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Installer back out to cut the flange bolts and put caps on for the 2 toilets that were reset. Well, he sorta did. The plastic washers ? that the caps snap too weren't used, caps just set on. As if the cats will leave them there! I didn't notice til I went to clean up (AGAIN!)

The hardwood transition strip for the powder room doorway broke when they timmed it down. Installer was going to put it back down then glue the broken off piece back on the edge. I said No and he offered 2 other pieces, neither of which remotely matched.

Shouting match with the not to bright "Certified Interior Designer" resulted in me hanging up on her as I couldn't finish a single sentence without her just talking over me.

Called the owner who does the same thing but at least she offered me a full refund. I just said how is THAT going to help me when my masterbath toilet is sitting in my shower???

The vinyl is supposed to be in tomorrow morning and I have an appt at 1pm so we shall see. I am probably going to accept her refund offer AFTER the vinyl is laid in my bath tomorrow. Then if I have to pay someone else to finish the job (broken transition strip)it will be DH's high school chum who is a finish carpenter that likes to be paid in home cookin' :-)

Sure glad the updates around here are almost over and I'll move on before they need done again!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 PM

We had our wood floor damaged from the water dispenser on the fridge leaking. While changing out the wood floor we decided to rip up carpet and put wood on the whole main level of our house and also do a little remodel of the kitchen. While the countertop installers were setting the new kitchen sink in place, they broke the hot water pipe. Many, many gallons of water ran out onto our newly installed wood floor plus it ran down into the basement and flooded the bathroom directly under the kitchen sink. It was a nightmare!
Old 05-10-2011, 12:49 PM

I gotta say that the gene pool is just too polluted and anybody can get a license for anything these days whether they are qualified or NOT and far too many in the NOT column!

If you don't agree then just think about all the BAD licensed drivers out there. LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding Did you pay for the job before it was done
Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by roda
Maybe I'm not understanding Did you pay for the job before it was done
Absolutely NOT!

75% deposit was required - I still owe the balance.