Multiple Sclerosis

Old 05-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor
Well, I googled it and this is the web site I looked at.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

"While the cause (etiology) of MS is still not known, scientists believe that a combination of several factors may be involved. Studies are ongoing in the areas of immunology (the science of the body’s immune system), epidemiology (that looks at patterns of disease in the population), and genetics in an effort to answer this important question. Understanding what causes MS will be an important step toward finding more effective ways to treat it and—ultimately—cure it, or even prevent it from occurring in the first place."
It is very odd but many women in our area have it. I heard of a new case just today. It makes we fear living here.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:38 AM

I went to collage with a woman with MS and she said that cold made her pain more intensive. She got a computer with a large screen and magnified from the blind services and was on medicade
Old 05-13-2011, 10:23 AM

Please see my posting Alternative Treatment for Auto Immune Diseases in the General Chit-Chat list. The drug I talk about there is also used for MS patients, and there have been clinical studies to support the effectiveness of it. I am trying very hard to get the word out about this. It is very effective for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Lupus, MS and a whole list of other immune related diseases.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:18 AM

It is amazing how many of us on this board either have MS or knows a loved one or friend that has it. Heat and humidity are the most common factors and I live in Florida so go figure! But I keep my body relaxed when I can and well hydrated. As for insurance its true. When I started my shots 8 yrs ago they cost $1,590 now they are $4350 a month! I do have health insurance but I also contacted the maker of the shots and they have an assistance program that has helped me for the last yr. and a half. I highly suggest that anyone can call these manufacturers and they will assist you. I too was am still am afraid once they cut me off the assistance then what? I'm divorced and live alone and its a scary feeling that someday I will wake up and not be able to use my legs at normal function (right now my left leg is giving me problems).
Old 05-14-2011, 11:10 AM

I am brand new to this site. A friend called me today to tell me about it. I do not have MS but have had lupus for over 9 years. Stress can flare most of these autoimmune diseases up. I have been writing a blog since last fall about living with chronic illnesses such as lupus and MS. You might find it interesting. The recent post was actually on quilting. http://www.dominateyourdiagnosis.com if your are interested.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

i take of my sister she has progressive ms and the heat is always bad and her short term memory is so bad
Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 AM

My middle daughter has been living with her 7th grade teacher since she was 14. They were 2 blocks from my house. My daughter did her cleaning, carried her bags for her (she was unable to shop because she used crutches to walk and couldn't hold the bags and crutches), ran errands and the things that we take for granted. She was diagnosed with MS about 19 years ago. Since then, she has been hospitalized numerous times, walks with crutches, has a wheelchair for long trips out, has a computer that speaks for her (she was a Social Studies teacher but had to retire because the kids couldn't understand what she was saying). My daughter also performed stretching exercises on her legs so her muscles wouldn't atrophy. In return, this teacher has bought a condo which my daughter and grandson have their own rooms, they are taken on vacation yearly (been to Hilton Head many times as part of a time share)and Walt Disney World in Florida. While her MS has gotten progressively worse, she is grateful for every minute she has here. My grandson considers her a Grandma too. She has a great outlook on life. I do know that heat and stress really bothers her MS. She also wears leg braces. If that wasn't enough, almost 4 years ago she was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. When diagnosed with this disease, it's usually a death sentence within 6 months. It will be 4 years in August. Every day is a blessing. She's one special lady.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:55 PM

I have MS and stress can indeed cause a flair.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:59 PM

I have had it for over 15 years. There are no definitive causes, but stress can cause it as well as other things.

According to my research, there are two main types....one is situational, in which there is an episode, and then gradually either the episodes decrease or increase, dependent on the person and the situation...in my case, this was my category.

The other is much more serious and debilitating, and episodes maintain their presence, and continue over time. Some famous actors have had this (Annette Funicello, Richard Pryoer) and though I dont know for certain,they seem to have the second category.

I had no insurance when initially diagnosed, and luckily received help through a support group, where I found that diet and exercise helped my symptoms. Unfortunately the damage caused in my case only was a lack of feeling on the right side of my body down to my knee, along with debilitation in nerve endings that calculate need for bowel movements, and withstanding heat and cold....all of which I have cmpnsated for without using drugs of any kind.
I am extremely lucky in this regard, andjust have to stay away from certain foods like meat and cheese, in order for the symptoms not to appear again.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
Originally Posted by SueDor
Well, I googled it and this is the web site I looked at.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...-ms/index.aspx

"While the cause (etiology) of MS is still not known, scientists believe that a combination of several factors may be involved. Studies are ongoing in the areas of immunology (the science of the body’s immune system), epidemiology (that looks at patterns of disease in the population), and genetics in an effort to answer this important question. Understanding what causes MS will be an important step toward finding more effective ways to treat it and—ultimately—cure it, or even prevent it from occurring in the first place."
It is very odd but many women in our area have it. I heard of a new case just today. It makes we fear living here.
In my area, too, and it seems like every day I meet a body with it.