Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric >

Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric

Very Very Loopy on the bottom side of fabric

Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Soundscrazy but mine was doing that, dropping loops and the spool thread was in a bind. it was pulling to tight for the tension on the machine but the bibbon mat not run true either. But it sounds like tension
Old 05-13-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by gunny148
Soundscrazy but mine was doing that, dropping loops and the spool thread was in a bind. it was pulling to tight for the tension on the machine but the bibbon mat not run true either. But it sounds like tension
What did you do to make it right?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Also you could try the usual new needle, rewind a different bobbin.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Also you could try the usual new needle, rewind a different bobbin.
I did change the needle to a large size and I did rewind & rethread. I think I may go buy some better thread tomorrow and try that. I do think it's a tension problem, but when playing with the tension I still get the same thing. Pulling my hair out!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:20 PM

take a piece of thread and knot it several times and trun it back and forth in the tension discs to clean it. As you thread be sure you're in between the right disks- should be the two closest to the machine. Tighten your tension down all the way and back it off until you get a good stitch. Also can totally loosen it and work up. The pring can get stuck so take the disks off and check to make sure it is clean and fully extended ( in worst case may need a new spring. The thread you are using if varied in any way from what your machine is used to can throw it off. Sometimes in rare cases you need to adjust the bobbin tension. Look on lone for sewing machine trouble shooting tips- there are some good ones out there
Old 05-13-2011, 02:22 PM

I'm heading to my sewing room & try your instructions. Wish me luck & thanks.

Originally Posted by writerwomen
take a piece of thread and knot it several times and trun it back and forth in the tension discs to clean it. As you thread be sure you're in between the right disks- should be the two closest to the machine. Tighten your tension down all the way and back it off until you get a good stitch. Also can totally loosen it and work up. The pring can get stuck so take the disks off and check to make sure it is clean and fully extended ( in worst case may need a new spring. The thread you are using if varied in any way from what your machine is used to can throw it off. Sometimes in rare cases you need to adjust the bobbin tension. Look on lone for sewing machine trouble shooting tips- there are some good ones out there
Old 05-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Usually, if the underside of your project has a problem it is a tension problem, or threading issue. I would do the 'dollar bill' clean out of your tension disks. It there is a stray thread or piece of thread there the dollar bill should be able to dislodge it. Remove your bobbin and clean that area out, look for a stray thread that may have lodged in the bobbin or surrounding areas.
I always try a new needle, different thread, even wind a new bobbin.
I know how frustrating this can be so I sure hope something works for you!! Best of luck! :thumbup:
Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 PM

remember when ever you change the tension dial you have to raise and lower the presser foot to ensure the new tension you have set is engaged.

re threading the machien completely top and bottom fixes 99% of issues.
If that does not work:
Have you changed the needle since it was working okay?
Check the needle you are using isn't bent.
if you changed the bobbin, is the thread on that wound correctly, ie firmly and evenly.
is the bobbin in the race with the thread coming off in the right direction. that makes a difference for some machines.

take it apart as much as you are able and give it a good clean out. I have had manay a student save themselves a repair bill by giving their machine a bit of TLC and a good defluff.

If all that fails, then take it to a good repair person for a service.

Hope you get it sorted. I was two days from my final City and Guilds submission deadline when My machine started sewing staircases instead of a satin stitch because some thick stuff knocked out the timing so the needle was swinging side to side inthe fabric instead of above it.
It had to go to the sewing machine hospital.
Lucky for me I have a second sewing machine (that's I usually only ise for embroidery) once I had snagged the foot box and found the manual I was able to keep sewing and meet my deadline. the look on DH face when I reported the issue withthe main machine was actually quite endearing. He looked genuinely distressed for me. I triumphantly told him I had switched machines... see honey that's why I need two sewing machines... Okay so I actually have three... and a protable so that's four isn't it... :)

Hope you get it sorted, I wasn't happy until I got my main machine back. Using a different sewing machine is like driving a different car. you don't know where the bite point is on the clutch ( foot pedal) I looked constantly worriedwhen using the other machine!

Becks
Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 PM

I would rethread everything, turn the machine off, then back on, and adjust your tension the other way. Maybe even to about 2.6
Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

Mine was doing that one day, and the bobin case had to be cleaned out!