Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
backaches at sewing machine >

backaches at sewing machine

backaches at sewing machine

Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 AM

It's called "Body Rite the Posture Pleaser".

SoftExpressions.com

Google body rite posture and you'll get several places to purchase this.. and prices range from @29.95 up........
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BrendaY
It's called "Body Right, the Posture Pleaser".

SoftExpressions.com

Google body rite posture and you'll get several places to purchase this.. and prices range from @29.95 up........
I couldn't find it on softexpressions.com, but here is a link I found in Google http://www.getcreativeshow.com/body-rite.htm
Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Thank you QuiltinNan... It helps to get the name of a thing spelled right! Glad you found it for us!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Thanks for all the info! I have back problems anyways so thought I would only be able sew for small amts evEryday! Will try these! Have risers on back of machines. Will make rice bag for tummy! What do u put in backpack??
Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Here are a few hints to make sitting sewing easier. I raise the back of my machine - to tilt it a bit and that seems to help. Also I have computer glasses which are similar to the reading glasses you buy at Walmart. They to make everything clearer and seem closer. I made a back pillow for my chair. I now make sure I'm pretty close to the table and lean back on the pillow (settle into the pillow).
This will make your back rest in a good position as you sew. So all your muscles are not tight sitting there. (That what they told me a physical therapy).
I realize that why we sew we forget our posture because we are concentrating so much watching the fabric and needle. I also have a timer in the room and get up to move around. The dollar tree sells an electronic timer that is quiet. the kitchen timers all have a ticking sound.
I wish you luck. And I will read all the other posts to get
more ideas from this great group of quilters.
Deb
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Next time you sit down at your machine, make sure that you are not hunching your shoulders. Sit all the way back in your chair, feet level on the floor. For some reason, I seem to tense my arms, my neck and back when I sew, I must always tell myself to breath and RELAX!
yep, I have the same trouble and have to constantly work on relaxing, especially my shoulders. I also have to remember to stretch my back and rotate my neck and shoulders before and after a session at the sewing machine. Seems to help some. also, squirming around to stretch my back periodically while i am sewing helps.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Laying a rice bag on your tummy!!?? How does that work? What are you supposed to do with it laying on your tummy?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM

Since I got the mesh back support from the Dollar Tree I haven't noticed anymore back, shoulder, or neck pain.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 AM

The very BEST thing I have found to stop a backache gained at the sewing machine is a hydrocodone tablet and about 45 minutes with a good book. Then I'm good to go for another few hours. Works every time.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 AM

I set the timer on my range for an hour. Kitchen is in the other end of the house from my sewing room. That way I have to get up and walk away from my machine to get the beeping timer turned off. On the way there I put my arms over my head, bend side to side and STRETCH. I then go do some housework and then go back to my machine.