Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how is this posted on google when I posted here >

how is this posted on google when I posted here

how is this posted on google when I posted here

Old 05-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by GRANNYMO
DOES THE POST ON GOOGLE SHOW YOUR ACTUAL NAME AND INFORMATION, OR ONLY YOUR USER NAME
Only my user name. Thanks to all for the info...I guess I just thought it was for members only...can we delete post with pics?
Thank you for your help.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
MTS
Banned

Google has no more of an idea of who you really are from what you post on this board than I do.

Your post would show up because you wrote something that matched a search request by someone else (maybe you used a term or referenced a shop or technique or your quilt name). I doubt any search result that comes up with any of our posts was deliberately looking for you or me or any of the other posters. (Except in the instance I gave upthread, where I would be specifically looking for a particular post.)

If they clicked through, all they would see is your post on the thread on this message board.

Don't worry. We're not all coming over for dinner. ;-) ;-) ;-)
Old 05-25-2011, 02:01 PM

Thats how I found this board , I was searching one day for something ... and just stumbled in.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I just searched for my name on google and 3 pages of just my name, nothing referencing this Forum. Then I googled Stitchnripper and those posts related to this board come up. I figure so much is out there in the "public domain" that as long as my financial info is private then I'm probably okay.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I just searched for my name on google and 3 pages of just my name, nothing referencing this Forum. Then I googled Stitchnripper and those posts related to this board come up. I figure so much is out there in the "public domain" that as long as my financial info is private then I'm probably okay.
Google your board name - Stitchnripper - you will be surprised!!
Old 05-25-2011, 03:37 PM

It will only show your actual name and information if you post it. That's why you shouldn't post your actual name, address, email, etc. Do you mean to yell?

Originally Posted by GRANNYMO
DOES THE POST ON GOOGLE SHOW YOUR ACTUAL NAME AND INFORMATION, OR ONLY YOUR USER NAME
Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by eparys
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Google your board name - Stitchnripper - you will be surprised!!
I did do that and it just takes me back to the board.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by sumcoop
I posted my find at goodwill and went on a google search to find info about the machine and found my post on the second page? Are our post here not secure? Guess this is a question for the moderator? Don't like that Google gets the info...not tech minded but really don't like this...what other info might they have. Moderator please respond. Don't know if this is the right place to post or not.
This is actually how I found this quilting board..I had googled something to do with quilting and clicked on the link and it was the board..And, I am so glad that I did...
Old 05-26-2011, 03:30 AM

Another board I'm register on allows someone log on to see who is online and who is viewing what. I do that regularly--not to see who is on line---but to see what is being viewed. It is a recipe type forum and most users aren't registered. I see then what recipes are being searched and are most popular. :) Extremely frequently, I see Google AdSense Spider, Google Spider and Yahoo! Slurp Spider that are 'bots' (software programs of a robotic nature I understand) that pulls unformation for their search engines. They are very efficient. As someone already mentioned, their search engines can often find posts for me (even my own!) that a forum's search function doesn't readily do. What is searchable is what can be had without logging in.

Something you might want to do is search in Google for your username. If stuff is coming up that you don't want seen I guess there is a way to notify Google that you want something (or anything searched with your username?) to be removed. I'm not up on this though. Someone else might be able to speak to this better.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by olmphoto2
What is searchable is what can be had without logging in.
And since all postings here can be read without logging in or being a member, it's all available for bots. If you do not want the world to see it, do not post it. In case you haven't already done so, or haven't since the ownership transfer, read the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy at the bottom of each page for more information.