Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anybody been to MaryJo's in NC???? >

Anybody been to MaryJo's in NC????

Anybody been to MaryJo's in NC????

Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 AM

Definitely worth the trip. I have to go to Charlotte next weekend and we are going to make a detour and stop at Mary Jo's. I go at least once a year. Great road trip!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Stopped in on my way home from vacation in April.

Loved the store, spent about 3 hours and about $200 but got quite a good haul for that!!'

Great for not only quilting but also fashion or decor sewing.

Well worth the trip and will be on my "stop-in" list whenever I'm on my way home from family in Atlanta.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM

I'll be going either on the way up or back from Maine. A lot of construction going on right now but still well worth the trip. She does not have shopping carts so bring something to tote your loot in. Also a list of what your looking for because its mine boggeling when you walk in. Enjoy and save some fabric for me.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM

I drive almost two hours. it is a 'field trip' for quilters. They even have the cottons categorized by subject, etc.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 AM

OOOOH.....sounds like a great fall trip for perhaps myself and a new friend I met on the board!!!!! Thanks for all of your input, advice and suggestions!
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM

and would that new board friend be greenini :?: :?: :?: you don't actually think you're get to do a FART to Mary jo's without me do ya????
Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 PM

I have shopped at Mary Jo's since the '70's. She is unparalleled in my opinion, especially in price. I just got back from a cloth shopping expedition that went from Mary Jo's up I 40 west through Paducah and on to St Louis, returning to NE NC via I 64. Her cotton prices for what I bought were none much over $7.00 and many less. Everywhere else I found costs at least 9 or 10 dollars a yard OFTEN FOR the same fabrics. And when I got to ST L, the quilting cotton prices per yard were 10 to 14 dollars a yard.
Interestingly, the little old LQSs were cheaper than some of the larger "full service" fabric stores at least for the ones my DH took me to.
FUN FART!!
Old 05-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Yes, and I come from New York!!!! Go with a definite list of what your wish to find. Otherwise your mind will be so overwhelmed you won't be able to remember what you need. I bought Jo Morton fabrics on my last trip there for a quilt. Every one was at least $2 less per yard than at LQS. Mary Joes quilt fabrics are almost all top quality. I did notice in her fabric panels some are lesser quality. And there was an isle that went on forever of food fabrics. More than I have ever seen combined from every LQS I have been too. And people say if you want a fabric, ask her and she will try to locate it for you.
Go, but plan a whole day, and when you enter store go to your left and toward back for her quilting fabrics. She carries tons of other types of fabrics also.
Enjoy! (wish I could move to the Carolinas just for that store)
Kat
Old 05-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Used to live an hour from there. Mary Jo is such a sweet lady and her whole staff is wonderful. Great quality fabrics, excellent prices. If you need help, they will walk around and help you! I always describe it as a "Bass Pro Shop" for sewists! The quilt fabrics are divided by color and theme and there are lots of batiks too. They cut their own FQs and have a table full of those at less than $2 each.As an added bonus, there is a Bernina quilt shop about 1 mile up the road called "Sew Much Fun" as well as several nice restaurants. Makes a fun mini shop hop!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:06 PM

I've heard great things about MaryJo's. Check with AgapeStitches (aka Michelle), she lives quite close.