Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron On Batting >

Iron On Batting

Iron On Batting

Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 PM

I am using it now for the first time. I am hand quilting. I thought I had ironed it on good but some of the areas around the edge have separated. But I put a few pins in and it is holding - also my top isn't shifting so i believe its okay. I did not find it difficult to hand quilt through. I have 1 more piece and will make a final decision after that.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by huntannette
i bought some a while ago, maybe seven yrs, and used it on a queen sized quilt and i loved it....i stilll basted it a bit with thread and i handquilted the quilt....i could never find more....thy were always out of stock when i asked...too bad
Walmart has it. I bought some and used it on a small quilt. I can't manage basting/pinning well, so it really simplified the work. It did feel 'stiffer' than other batting, but I think a few washings would take care of that.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:32 PM

I used it one time. Since it was so new to me, I only bought enough for my project. I don't remember having any problems with it. Honestly, I forget just what I used it on.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 PM

I love this batting. Given a choice, it's the only one I'd use. It washes well, and yes although it's a bit stiffer when first ironed on, it really softens up after washing.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 AM
Power Poster

i use it sometimes- when it fits with my project. easier to use than spray basting i think. i've only used small craft/crib sized fusable batts- for me just too difficult to use a larger one--and for me being a long-armer- not necessary- but it works great for projects i'm not using the big machine on. really works great for craft projects like purses/totes and wall hangings/ table toppers-placemats. :)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 AM

I used it once, and it functioned fine, but I'll never do it again. I don't think it's a good idea to be inhaling the fumes that come off of it as you iron.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:22 AM

When I do use fusible batting, it tends to be for smaller projects. I tried it once on a queen sized quilt, and found it difficult to use because I don't have a queen-sized ironing board and don't want to iron on my floors because they're hardwood. Like many other quilting tools, there's a time and a place for each to be used.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 AM

Seems that the majority agree with my thoughts. I used it only once which should sum up how I feel about it.