Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix >

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

recession= different methods of getting the fabric fix

Old 06-03-2011, 07:48 PM

I've never set foot into a fabric store but every week come home with something to add to my fairly large stash obtained via thrift stores. I'm always on the hunt for things I can cut up as well. If it's cotton, it's fair game.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 PM

We can only do what we can do. LQS is nice, and should be supported IF you are able, but I see nothing wrong with Joann's, Walmart, or yard sales, or the thrift stores. Quilting originally began because people were using what was left from making their own clothing. Or re-using clothing. We're just going back to the beginning.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:06 PM

I can't afford to always go to LQS either. So go too thrift stores, yard sales. Buy from here. Trade whatever u gots to do what u gots to do!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 PM

Don't forget you can purchase clothes (cotton) for as little as $1 a bag at yard sales or thrift stores. Keep being frugal there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 PM

we have a Joann's and a Hobby Lobby. There used to be a lady who sold fabric out of her home I had heard a few yrs agol don't know if she still does or not. I usually buy material at auction sales or where ever I see it.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:21 PM

I feel that I am helping someone in the community when I shop at yard sales and such. they are trying to make $$ as well. My mother bought a pellon printed pattern (enough for a queen size quilt) they charged her $50. There were no instructions. Mom called LQS The lady at the LQS told my mother that the pattern was in a book and it would cost her $20. I think they took total advantage of my mother. I will NEVER shop there again. TG we have a small but nice LQS in another town.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
We can only do what we can do. LQS is nice, and should be supported IF you are able, but I see nothing wrong with Joann's, Walmart, or yard sales, or the thrift stores. Quilting originally began because people were using what was left from making their own clothing. Or re-using clothing. We're just going back to the beginning.
I agree - there's no need to stop quilting, just think of ways you can continue within budget. There have been some stunning quilts produced out of very humble findings.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:45 PM

I get it where I can find it. Variety is the spice of life. Someone else may have something that I never would have bought before I saw it mixed with their fabric choices. I love yard sales, estate sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Cancer Thrift Stores and anyplace I can think of to shop for fabric. I agree that it's time to get back to our roots. I have too much fabric now. So many quilts, so little time.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by pjemark
I'm not saying that we are doing horrible- But , it has been hard. My husband was laid off for 13 months, and we are trying to help our kids with their student loans etc--yadda yadda- yadda- so I'm looking at all of the threads about 1. stashes 2. yard sales. I think I'm going to start really really thinking about seeing how much fabric- cheap fabric- i can obtain from yard sales. I mean- you can have a lota lota fun for a little little bit o money! And someone with my tastes- the yard sale circut is perfect because I like the retro- but not quite vintage stuff--perfect! and as i said in another post- u start with the stash- and then you go to the LQS and add to it if you need to. only thing about that is- i know we should support our local businesses- but- you know what- what if we cant afford to?
Isn't it always the case?! We're supposed to shop local and support our LQSs but they don't always take our budgets and financial constraints into consideration. We sorta understand why, but maybe it's more one-sided than it's considered politic to acknowledge.

My great Aunt Ina (short for Wilmina), whom we called Aunt Mike (evolved from fact her older siblings had a hard time saying Wilmina and took to calling her "Little Mite" which became 'Mike') took to handquilting after retiring after 47 years in the drycleaning industry. After their husbands died, she shared a small trailer with her older sister in affluent Marin County, CA. I think she was only getting about $300/mo in Social Security and maybe $100/month from her union. They both lived, as they say, on a shoe string.

That said, she hand-quilted like crazy all the while living within her very limited means by shopping a local charity thrift store, "The Bargain Box," for used clothing. Her quilts were exquisite and she was happy as a lark pursuing her art and passion for beauty--if she felt constrained she never said so. It certainly didn't affect her art and she loved every new piece of cloth--however fashioned--she 'discovered' there.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 PM

I just got 5 yards of white fabric with black music notes for $1.00 per yard, so check them out.