Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pet and Smoke Free Environment >
  • Pet and Smoke Free Environment

• Pet and Smoke Free Environment

Old 06-09-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I think the person with the sensitivity is where the responsibility lies.
    being allergic to lots of things, i agree in part with this statement. however, the person buying should know in advance of the potential for difficulties for them, and choose to buy/accept or not. if it is not revealed, then there is no choice available to them.
    Good advice :thumbup:
    Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
    If its going to someone else, I let them know there are pets. As for smokers, sometimes my DH wanders in with a cigar. Does that count?
    I find cigar smoke to be more offensive than cigarette smoke (which I can't stand). Strong fragrance is bad too for anyone with sensitivities or allergies.
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
    Power Poster

I have a small poodle and she is free to go where she wants, typically people are not as sensitive to poodles as other dogs.
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:11 AM

As you can see from my avatar, I have a very large fluffy girl! I have gifted and sold to family and friends who are well aware of pet hair. If I were to sell to someone even though I would use a lint roller to remove pet hair, I would still inform the buyer/recipient. It's just polite, most people say they are fine and have pets but some do have rather severe allergies.
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 AM
    Swap Hosts

I have two dogs and while they don't hop up on my fabric like cats do, it is inevitable that a hair gets in here or there. While we don't smoke, I do work in a house with a fireplace and kero heater, I cook smelly things like cabbage, and sometimes my husband or son will burn something (passive aggressive when they're asked to cook!). How do I handle it? When I send out veils, they go with a rose/lavender sachet. Hopefully the scent overwhelms anything else that might get in there. I also have a proviso on fabric and related items: If you have a nose like a bloodhound, go shop somewhere else!
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Marion T
    I wash all my quilts when they are finished. I don't sell my quilts. My pets are allowed anywhere they like, and there are worse things than a pet wandering around the sewing room. Anyone who doesn't like it is welcome to stay away.
    AMEN from Texas! I feel sorry for people who don't allow room in their hearts for a pet. I will respect allergies, and really don't like my cats on my fabric because of the shedding - it's so difficult to get it all off and black fabric is the worst! They are, however, allowed almost anywhere else in the house, except for countertops or tables - the rule is that no cats go where food goes.
    Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM

I only make quilts for family and friends and they're all allergy free. I'm the one with the allergies and I had 3 cats in the sewing room with me all the time. I do wash before giving anything away. so far no complaints from the giftees.
    Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
    Power Poster

No smoking at all in our home or even in our yard. I have a dog and cat that are indoors. If someone is very allergic to pet hair then I don't give them a quilt. I can't guarantee no pet dander/hair is not somewhere on the quilt. I'd never pick fabric over my pets.
    Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 AM

Oh My don't tell my 2 Doxies that their legs are to short. GGG! They just won't believe you at all. I can't believe some of the stunts my 2 do with them little legs.

Verna
    Old 06-10-2011, 03:49 AM

both DH & i require a pet free environment for our art and we have a studio set up the covers an entire floor of our home and our 4 cats are never allowed onto this floor.

when i'm doing work that isn't for sale i move my sewing machine to the family room to be with the cats.

no one is allowed to smoke in our home. actually i don't even know any one who smokes. its beyond me why any one would be smoking any longer considering all the health risks.