Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Pictures
  • My New Baby >
  • My New Baby

• My New Baby

Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 AM

You can download a free manual online. The machine and cabinet are both beautiful. If you don't want to do a full refinish on the cabinet, there are products that do a good job. I did a dressing table yesterday. I wish I had before and after pictures because it looks so different.
    Old 06-11-2011, 08:03 AM

She's very pretty!
    Old 06-11-2011, 08:08 AM

Congrats on your new baby, she's beautiful, May in Jersey
    Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by irishrose
    You can download a free manual online. The machine and cabinet are both beautiful. If you don't want to do a full refinish on the cabinet, there are products that do a good job. I did a dressing table yesterday. I wish I had before and after pictures because it looks so different.
    Do you have the url for the manual? I figured I'd give the cabinet a cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap and then use Old English to polish and take it from there. I've used Old English on my violins and upright basses since I was a child. Old habits die hard!
    Old 06-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Beautiful machine. I Love the cabnet.
    Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 AM

I assume your machine is a 66, but you'll find it more exactly with the serial number. I'm not finding a complete manual, but here's a start so you can sew. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...g-machine.html

As for the finish, Old English did little for the bentwood case on my 128. Charlee on the vintage site used different products on a cabinet and it looked great, so I purchased them for my treadle and my vintage dressing table. Her directions: "I gave the cabinet and the machine a quick wipe down with Murphy's Oil Soap, followed with a rub-down of Howard's Re-Stor-A-Finish. A coat of Howards' Bee's Wax with Orange Oil provided the finishing touch. The machine itself got a coat of TR-3 car wax."
    I used a scrub brush with the Murphy's and fine steel wool with the Restor-A-Finish. This dressing table was dirty and had been used by children with markers. Looks good now.
    Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM

I don't usually love these old machines when people post them, but this one is lovely. I especially love the cabinet. I wish I had my mom's old power machine by singer. It was a machine straight out of a sweat shop and it was the machine I learned to sew on.
    Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM
    Power Poster

What a great baby
    Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM

She's gorgeous and so is her cabinet! What a great deal!! Congratulations :-D :thumbup:
    Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 AM
    Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by irishrose
    I assume your machine is a 66, but you'll find it more exactly with the serial number. I'm not finding a complete manual, but here's a start so you can sew. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...g-machine.html

As for the finish, Old English did little for the bentwood case on my 128. Charlee on the vintage site used different products on a cabinet and it looked great, so I purchased them for my treadle and my vintage dressing table. Her directions: "I gave the cabinet and the machine a quick wipe down with Murphy's Oil Soap, followed with a rub-down of Howard's Re-Stor-A-Finish. A coat of Howards' Bee's Wax with Orange Oil provided the finishing touch. The machine itself got a coat of TR-3 car wax."
    I used a scrub brush with the Murphy's and fine steel wool with the Restor-A-Finish. This dressing table was dirty and had been used by children with markers. Looks good now.
    Thanks so much! I don't know why, but I am more than a little terrified of it. I'll go over to the old machine thread to see if I can get a perfect match but it sure looks like it.