Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine question from newbie >

Sewing machine question from newbie

Sewing machine question from newbie

Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 PM

In addition to the above suggestions, if it's jamming it could be because the bobbin wasn't wound correctly. Does it seem okay to you? Is it pretty uniform with no lumps or bumps? It might be helpful to post a photo of how you are loading your bobbin.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:55 PM

I know I'm saying the exact same thing as others have said... but it's how it makes it easier for me to picture -- when I put the bobbin in my brother the tail is on the left and coming off the top (closest to the foot) of the bobbin.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Ok thanks I will try the suggestions.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by butterflies5518
make sure the thread rotates to the left when you pull the tail - I have a brother
Yes, this ^
Old 07-26-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by tedytrser
Yeah I have the manual sat there with it in front of me. I have the thread on the left and run it thru the slicer and the when I draw it up my bobbin thread runs across the top left side of my bobbin. Someone told me my tension might be to tight. Pretty bad a 47 yr old just learning to sew. HOW SAD!!
No it isn't sad just cause you are learning to sew. I just recently started learning to sew myself (shortly before my 40th birthday). Some just have the desire to learn later in life and some the bug hits them at an early age. Just enjoy yourself and do your best :) Even if at times that doesn't seem too good to you. At least you are learning.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by LyndaOH
In addition to the above suggestions, if it's jamming it could be because the bobbin wasn't wound correctly. Does it seem okay to you? Is it pretty uniform with no lumps or bumps? It might be helpful to post a photo of how you are loading your bobbin.
I second this - even if it's not the problem you're having it's good to know. I have been sewing for years and if I fuss with my bobbin thread as it's winding it's nearly guaranteed that it'll jam up when I get sewing...this is especially the case when I'm doing some fast free motioning. Lol* Whenever I watch my bobbin fill up I want to grab that thread and guide it to fill the bobbin evenly in the WORST way! Lol* But I have learned to let it go where it wants to as long as it's not off the bobbin itself. ;)

**Edited to add: if this just happens to be what your issue is, to resolve it I just unwind my bobbin a bit and usually I'll feel the resistance as I'm pulling the thread off of the bobbin. I just remove thread until it doesn't feel like it's tough to pull off anymore and throw that excess away.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Thanks to everyones help, here is my accomplishment from my first attempt.....not great but it is together.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-232216.jpe  
Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 AM

If it's a Brother drop in bobbin make sure when you pull the thread from the bobbin the thread comes from the top, over the bobbin, not from under. When you pull the thread the bobbin itself should wind counter clockwise.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 AM

Yeah I have the manual sat there with it in front of me. I have the thread on the left and run it thru the slicer and the when I draw it up my bobbin thread runs across the top left side of my bobbin. Someone told me my tension might be to tight. Pretty bad a 47 yr old just learning to sew. HOW SAD!!
re thread the top...it may of jumped the take-up lever.

that is the first thing i check when the thread bunches up on the bottom...98% of the time..that is the problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 AM

Thanks to everyones help, here is my accomplishment from my first attempt.....not great but it is together.
That is good for a first attempt.