Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Organization >

Fabric Organization

Fabric Organization

Old 08-22-2011, 04:08 PM

Since I have made some major fabric purchases from Connecting Threads, a couple of QB members and the LQS, I have had to revamp my storage area. It is a computer armoir, with shelves and drawers and such. I purchased two white wire shelves, stacked them. They fit quite nicely, and I was able to get all of my fabric stored in the armoir.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM

I am in the process of organizing all of my fabrics. They were just shoved onto shelves and totes when we moved....then being so excited to have my own sewing area, I began projects and things just got worse. I began by cutting all of my scraps into block sizes. From one and a half up to six inch squares. I am now in the next step of ruler folding my larger fabrics after trimming off uneven edges and cutting those into block sizes. With the folded fabrics I am going by colors with the squares each size has its own plastic container seperated into lights and darks. It is a long process, but I feel so much better when I enter my sewing room now. Each person must find what works for them and it may take several trials to find it. I wish you luck.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by MommaThomps
I'm in the process of (gasp) actually organizing my fabric, and I was wondering how people have done it. Do you like open shelving or in drawers better? A good way to organize the fabric itself- dividers? by color? Just looking for your thoughts.
I love using the open shelving. I use a closet, and instead of doors I put a tension rod and some curtains. It has some upper shelves and I've also added a bookshelf on its side on the floor, and on top of that I stacked shoe cubbies for my fat quarters and some of my yardage. I wrap all my fabric on comic book boards.

I have a picture of what it looks like here:
http://debzpicaday.blogspot.com/2011...57-of-365.html
Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 PM

I have mone in plastic shoe boxes by color, spme by project
Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM

I organized my sewing area last winter. I used a baker's shelf system and used clear plastic boxes for small pieces. I sorted them by color. I have a red box, a green box, etc. Larger pieces (at least 1/2 yard) I fold and stack.... again by color. I can see the edges of the fabric and pick what I want. I also pin a sticky note on each piece that tells me how much I have of that fabric (1yd, 2 1/3 yds, etc.)

I've found that I actually use the fabric pieces instead of just go out and buy something new.... It's saved me money and helped me use up some things I've had for quite a while.

Also, check out the scrappy quilt sites mentioned on the board.... there are some beautiful quilts out there using small scraps.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM

mine is in wall cabinets with glass doors - by colors, plus solids, pet fabrics, holiday fabrics and novelty prints that are a mish-mash of colors. The glass keeps it all clean and I can still see it all.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I sure like shelves better than drawers. I used the ruler fold method and really like it!
Same here on both :)
Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM

I have used the ruler fold method for quantities less than 4 yards. This method, I use my 6 X 24 inch ruler, and I start to roll the fabric on the ruler, then when finished, I fold in half. For fabric over 4 yards, due to bulk, I will fold it again in half the length of the fabric, so that it is about 12-14 inches, then I wrap it on my 12 inch square ruler, and store in same manner, this helps with the bulk, as it gets harder to fold in 1/2 the fabrics wrapped over the ruler. I do not use the boards or cardboard in the center, just feel it adds to the volume. Store fat quarters in containers that allow them to stand on end, so I can easily see the colors. Once the washed fabric is folded, I then sort into project group sets, then the rest of the stash gets organized, into color or season...I love Christmas...You need to organize so you can find the items...my brain is wired a certain way (often short circuits -ha ha)but I cannot find anything if I try to use another person's way....Good luck
Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM

My fabrics are folded and put on white bookcases that I purchased at Target. They have 5 shelves each and I have 3 of them. I have one shelf devoted to FQ and pre cuts. I fold my fabric using my 6" ruler. I fold my fabric in half length wise and wrap it around the ruler. It is then the perfect size to fit on the shelves with no over hang. I have my solids, dots, stripes and ginghams on shelves by themselves. My novelty and print fabrics are all sorted by either the color of the background or the color that is most prominent. My holiday fabrics are on a shelf by themselves. I do keep my flannels and knits in tubs as they tend to take up a lot of room and I need it for my cottons!

This picture was taken prior to tidying up the shelves so it is a little messy (plus there has been many additional fabrics added!)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-245533.jpe  
Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 AM

Who has the fabric boards? I started to use some I purchased from Polar Notions but found it to be a bit pricey. I just inherited a huge fabric stash from a former quilter. My husband is planning on building me a new fabric closet but until then my stash is in plastic containers and drawers.