Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is this.....and how is it used? >

What is this.....and how is it used?

What is this.....and how is it used?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 PM

It must be a universal short shank, as it will fit my Brother 1250D. I see ruffles in the future........ :)
Thanks for all the input. I honestly didn't have a clue as to what it was.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by craftoholic
I'd have to go look at my book... I have one too. ( several actually) never use it but I have them.....It appears to be a ruffler.........

another great you tube!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZLFeBNapIk

I wish I had known and used this foot ( that I already owned!!) when I did my Grandaughters nursery.. my dtr wanted ruffles on EVERYTHING!@!!! sigh....
LOL, that is too funny. Sorry, but I did the same thing. Used to make all my daughters clothes when she was little. She wouldn't wear anything that wouldn't "spin".........mmmm, I miss those days. Went by way too fast.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Possibly a pressure foot for one of her machines? Do you know what kind of machines she had that could be a clue on what machine it fit on. If in fact that it is a pressure foot. Good luck. I am sure someone will come along and tell you exactly what it is and what machine it would fit.
Deanna; I was going to send you one of those, but I did not have a clue what it was myself. In 40 years of sewing I have never come across that beast.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:31 AM

It is a ruffler or gathering foot. The holes at the front of the foot with the numbers on them tell you how tight the gathering stitch is.You can change the density of the stitches by lifting it up and putting the notch into a different hole.The piece of material that remains straight, goes on the bottom and the bit that you are gathering goes on the top.The amount of gather is determined by which hole you have the notch in and when it is finished,you have a gathered flounce attached to a straight piec of material without having to gather and the join.
Hope I haven't rambled too much - I have one of thses and it is a real time saver.
The video is not in English, bur demonstrates clearly how to attach the two pieces.
http://youtu.be/F2Vs0a0poDU
Old 09-06-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal
Originally Posted by 1234Irene
I found this in a box of my moms stuff while unpacking and setting up my new sewing room. I can't figure out what it is to look online to see how to use it, so naturally, I thought of all you! Can anybody help me? Please?
Its a ruffler attachment. Here is a video on how to use it! Easier than me explaining! I have one & use it alot when making dress, curtains, aprons, ruffled edges on baby quilts,etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF1z0C81BPI
I was going to say the same thing. I used one of these a lot when my kids were small
Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 AM

Looks like a ruffler.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 AM

I have one similar to that for my treadle machine. It is a gathering foot. You adjust your stitch length to adjust the fullness of the gathering. Works great and you con't have to pull strings and sew it just right. This comes out all done!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 AM

it is a ruffler attachment - makes ruffles with fabric
Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 AM

It is a ruffler attachment and it does a beautiful job
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 AM

It is a ruffler. The amount of ruffling you get depends upon which slot you have engaged at the front of the attachment. You can make the ruffles separately and then attach them to whatever you want or you can make the ruffles and attach them at the same time. I can email you the instructions if you pm me your email address.