Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying from Amazon >

Buying from Amazon

Buying from Amazon

Old 10-06-2011, 03:28 AM

Basic sewing machine yes I would buy one from Amazon. But first shop around to see if the sewing machine is offered locally that you which to buy.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:01 AM

You have to remember, buying on Amazon or Ebay, buyers are king!! there are all kinds of protection in place. The most you would be out is return shipping.
Now if sellers could get some protection, that would be super!!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 AM
Banned

No I would not buy a sewing machine from Amazon. To me a sewing machine is personal and you need to test drive them and then make sure you have service that is convenient and establish a good relationship with a local dealer who will help you over any bumps you might encounter. Saving a few dollars is not worth it.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:25 AM

Yes, I would. I would buy almost anything from Amazon, but I would know about what I was buying first.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 AM

I see nothing wrong with buying from Amazon or any other legitimate online business. I know that many people say you have to test-drive and so forth, but many of us either do not have a local sewing machine dealer, or (as is the case with me) do not want to deal with the dealers who are close by due to "issues" with them in the past or reservations about their reputation.

Most of the time when you purchase online, you have a 30-day return option.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 AM

I would buy from them if the price/deal was better. I shop around for most things and buy from Amazon a LOT. I didn't used to but after getting a kindle a couple years ago I find myself there a lot.

Bread machine died a while back and I was on Amazon getting a new one on the way in minutes :-) Got my printer from them not long ago too. So sewing machine? Why not!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Missymccree
Would anyone buy a sewing machine from Amazon and if so what would be the best one?
If I needed a basic backup machine and was considering getting it from Walmart or other big-box store, I would buy it from Amazon if the price + shipping were a good deal. If I was considering something from my LQS or anything more than a basic machine, no, I would not. I need to support my LQS whenever possible, plus with the better machines, it's nice to be able to testdrive them, have a place for lessons, and have a relationship with the service person.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I have bought a lot of things from Amazon with no problems.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:07 AM
QKO

Just a note about Amazon -- when you're buying on Amazon, you're not always buying FROM Amazon. Thousands of online stores sell through Amazon or use Amazon's checkout services.

Make sure, before you buy, that you read the return and other policies of the specific store you're buying from -- don't just think you're ok because you found it on Amazon.

Amazon does, however, hold its associate stores to a code of conduct, so if you have a problem with a Amazon-connected store, make sure you report it to Amazon.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 AM

I have purchases 2 Janome machines from amazon. My higher end machines came from a local dealer though. I'll buy just about anything from them. The rare occasion I've had trouble with something, their customer service has been fabulous.