Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • need advice >
  • need advice

• need advice

Old 10-10-2011, 07:01 PM

I once had a vellux blanket that committed suicide in a front load washer at the laundromat! I was left with a mesh glob and a WHOLE bunch of rust colored fuzz!! I had to sweep up the entire floor!
    For that reason alone, I wouldn't use vellux on the back of a quilt. But I do love vellux blankets on my beds. Just have to hold my breath whenever I wash them!
    Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by LadybugPam
    It wasn't that I was commissioned to make a quilt, but I volunteered to sew together a quilt for a young widow. She brought her husband's tee shirts over; I pressed interfacing on the tees and put a quilt top together. She asked me to use vellux blanket material as the backing for the quilt.

I am so traditional in this respect - I cannot bring myself to use it as a backing. I have to know if it is a good idea or let go of it because it is not mine to choose how it is completed. I am grateful to know my quilter is willing to give it a try.

Has anyone have any experience with this? I would highly appreciate feedback.
    To be honest, I think this quilt will mean more to her than it will to you. If she wants a vellux blanket backing, then I'd do everything in my power to make it so.

It sounds to me like she's looking for a memorial/comfort object rather than a traditional quiltI know fleece works fine as a backing. You might get a sample of fleece to let her examine; I think fleece (or Minkee) would be even softer and more cuddly than vellux.
    Old 10-11-2011, 07:09 AM

Definitely ask the reason she specified Vellux. If it's just for the softness and not for sentiment--use fleece. My grandkids & great nieces love, love, love the super soft snuggly fleece backed quilts.
    Old 10-11-2011, 04:17 PM

I appreciate your kind words and advice. I know that it is not my quilt ... so I have agreed to do what she wants. She is firm and unyielding.

Thanks ... you confirmed everything I was thinking.