Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How to organize a sewing room >
  • How to organize a sewing room

• How to organize a sewing room

Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM

when I have enough to sort (and a place to put it) then I will decide what works for me. Meanwhile, watching this thread for tips and ideas :)
    Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 AM

I just bought shelves @ WM...
    I'm wanting one more but has really helped in the organization Dept. They were very reasonable too....
    Plus I keep my Fat Qtrs in a flat plactic container...

1st shelf-left are 2 shelves together 2nd one is a 5 shelf one piece
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]271657[/ATTACH]

Made cover with velco tabs
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]271658[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-271604.jpe   attachment-271605.jpe  
    Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 AM

In the rest of your home how organized are you? Is your pantry/food storage neat. Do you keep your linens folded & stacked in any order? How do you do your clothing? Don't forget your purse - how is it?

Your sewing room is an extension of you and will probably end up similarly to the rest of your home. Think a

I'm not terribly neat but if nobody moves anything I know where my stuff is.
    Old 10-15-2011, 10:08 AM

In the rest of my house it's fairly neat, other then dust and cobwebs (I'm saving those for decorations for Halloween)Now my clothing..that's another subject. I have what I can wear now, what I want to wear when I loose weight, and what I can't part with..so I need to work on that department, and my purse is a lost cause as my husband gives me half of his stuff to put in it!I keep saying I'm a work in progress. But my sewing room was out of hand and I needed help in trying to figure out what to do with all my goodies.
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 PM

I am in the process of rearranging my sewing room for the fourth time I keep getting more stuff and have to find a place for it. Right now all my fabric is sorted in boxes on metal shelves and bookcases my husband made me I also have to find room for my embroidery my painting and my crochet and knitting believe me when I say there is never enough space or storage
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:36 PM

luv-e I love how you have done yours, with the "curtains" on the front of the cabinets. That is probably the route I will go when I am able to have a sewing room.

For now, I use a corner of the boys' room, since we only have them on the weekends, I use the room during the week.

So I store the fabric in a big tub on the weekend, stuff it under the table I use for my cutting mat and sewing machine, and put the ironing board away... then during the week, I pull out the ironing board, have it set up perpendicular to the table at the end, and the fabric gets spread out on the beds. hehe it works for me for now.
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Admittedly, my stash is small, but I organize fabric by color and size. If I have purchased fabrics specifically for a project that has not yet started, I put the fabrics, pattern and thread in a plastic bin of their own, so everything is together when I am ready to start. I like it by color because that is often what I am thinking about when I am combing through my stuff -- trying to pick a specific color to go with something. Hope that helps!
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:41 PM

I don't think the word "organize" existes in relation to my sewing area.
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:41 PM

I would LOVE to see some photos of your sewing room; it sounds so organized and lovely!!!

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I have a decent size sewing room. I have four different dressers in here. One of them has four drawers and holds all of the fat quarters orgainized by color. Another dresser is also my cutting table and has small tools in the top shallow drawer and the two big drawers have half yards and yards. I have another long, low dresser that has fabric collections (charm packs + the jelly roll and yardage that go together) and odds and ends. The fourth dresser is also my ironing center and its drawers have ufos in the two middle big drawers, thread and ribbon spools in the two shallow bottom drawers and things like an applique sheet, basting threads, etc in the top three shallow drawers.

Two of the dressers came from old motels, one I found on Craigslist and one I bought from Wal-Mart. Guess which one is going to fall apart and be replaced first?

I have two bookcases with nothing but fabric on the shelves. Some of it is wound on the coroplast boards and some is folded so three stacks fit across each shelf. The stacks are by color since they're all the same length. The fabric on the boards is just stuck on the shelves for now. At some point I'll take them down and sort them out by length of the cut.

I have a stack of three of the Art Bin cubes and enough of the Art Bins to fill them. Those hold my WIP that I'm actually working on and I have them in the cubes from first priority to last priority at the bottom. They might be a little on the pricy side but they were definitely worth the investment.
    :-D
    Old 10-15-2011, 10:15 PM

I have all of my fabrics sorted by color, quilting fabric that is. Then I have a separate pile for Christmas, Kiddie prints, solids and fabrics that have a white, blue or black background. I have them mostly in shelves, with some tubs. I also have crafts in my sewing area which are on shelves too. It is a never ending living thing keeping my sewing space organized. I too clean up regularly so I have a nice work area. I also made curtains to go across the shelves to keep dust and light off of my fabrics while I am not using them. Sorting by color has been the best way for me for years.