Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unused attachments and features of sewing machines >

Unused attachments and features of sewing machines

Unused attachments and features of sewing machines

Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 AM

I love the hemmers and the ruffler. I don't put in zippers very often, but of course the zipper foot is great when I do.

I haven't ever managed to get the binding foot to work properly. There's another modern binding foot (clear plastic and square shaped) that works a lot better, even on gentle curves.

I never have gotten the adjustable hemmer to work, either. It seems much easier to me to press in the folds, pin and sew than to try to use that adjustable hemmer. It does work at the narrow end better than at the wide end.

The old tuckers are wonderful little gizmos and the old-style quilting foot is handy for sewing around curves, even opposing curves like with Drunkard's Path blocks.

I've only rarely used the roller foot.

I've got a LOT of different kinds of darning/embroidery feet and I like almost all of them just fine.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 AM

I have 6 machines and serger and rarely ever use pieces
Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 AM

The majority of my sewing is done on the vintage machines I have. I LOVE playing with attachments, and I will NEVER again make a ruffle or gather by sewing and pulling threads!
That being said, I've not been able to successfully use the adjustable hemmer...I should force myself to learn how, as I'm positive that it's operator error. Must be, since these are a common attachment... the other hemmers have, at times been lifesavers!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Power Poster

i find that i only use 3 or 4 attachments per machine. yes, some of the unused ones are a mystery, even though i've found out what they should be for
Old 11-26-2011, 08:51 AM

I do garment sewing in addition to quilting and home dec work. I have used all the standard presser feet that came with my Bernina 1031 and Bernina 440, and I've added a number more! I look at feet as tools. You really only need a straight stitch foot and a zig zag foot, but other feet can make a job much, much easier. The ones I'm not real good with are hemmers, but I keep practicing!

Pam
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 AM

I have a ruffler for a vintage machine.. love it , but now use it to create more pleat like gathers, the days of big ruffles seem to be gone. A ruffler really is an amazing foot.
I do like my feet I keep collecting for my Viking. I have about 15 I use , 6 very frequently.
As for the fancy stitches ... not a fan !! But I do really like the serpentine stitch for quilting.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Thanks plainpat for the ruffler tutorial. I have quite a few attachments/feet for my new Bernina 830. I actually took a class dedicated to attachments/feet from the lqs that sold the machine to me. It has been very helpful to me. Then I can go and Re-take the class in case I forget what I learned.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:02 AM

I made apparel before I started quilting. I've used most all of my feet. The only attachment that I used only during my
free classes that came with my machine was the round hole maker. I use my ruffler if I'm making a massive amount of
ruffles.
I love my hemming foot... It's really a life saver when putting in those blind hem...
Old 11-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

I have an old VHS from Clothilde (I ordered it from there a long time ago) that shows how to use every machine attachment and foot that was made for a sewing machine. I need to find it on DVD as our only VHS player is never used anymore. Too much trouble to hook it up to watch one tape. It's a great video. It may be on you tube by now.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM

I have collected many many attachments over the years - don't know what to do with them - but don't want to get rid of them either.