Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Just my opinion >
  • Just my opinion

• Just my opinion

Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 PM

a lot of my mags are coming due in the next few months and I have decided not to renew them, because for the simple reason some of them are not something that I would make, and yet I see all the quilts made on here and I think I can make one of them. plus there are oodles of free patterns and why pay for them when you don't have to? I will save my money to spend on more fabric.
    Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 AM

you know why-----we here are not advertising certain name brand fabrics to make our quilts.......the mag ones are pushing mfgrs.....and some of the color combos really hurt my eyes!!!!!!
    Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 AM

HEAR, HEAR! The quilters on the QB are the best!!!! Not only are they talented, but most are more than happy to share their patterns, skill, and knowledge!!!!! Who could ask for more?
    Old 12-10-2011, 08:17 AM

I have to agree. I buy these magazines and they are mostly advertisements. One of the quilting online magazines started to be very interesting and informative and now are only ads. This is a great news letter that is daily. It has answers to about any problem and everyone is willing to help other members fine fabric, articles and patterns that they are needing. I have not renewed several of my magazine, so many of the magazines are geared to younger people.
    Jo
    Old 12-10-2011, 08:33 AM

I have been thinking the same thing since I discovered this board. This is also a pleasant place to visit. To all you talented and gracious members, thank you.
    Old 12-10-2011, 09:12 AM

I agree totally. I used to pick up magazines quite often. Now, if I come across quilt mags at a yard sale really cheap I will pick them up. It seems that so many of the quilts in the magazines are using the same basic patterns, just using different fabric, usually the new, great designers-so really it's just more advertising for the fabric. Here, people are focusing of the craft or art of quilting and are so helpful.
    Old 12-10-2011, 09:59 AM

Yes, there is a lot of talent here! It is great to be a member and participate with such talented folks.
    Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 AM

I certainly agree with you. I have learned so much from the Board members and gotten so much inspiration. Not enough years left to do all the wonderful quilts I have bookmarked!
    Old 12-10-2011, 10:15 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

As one who loves to contribute here, drawing patterns, answering questions, I thank you for your comments. I, too, have noticed how plentiful and generous the talent is here. The only magazine that interests me any more is American Quilter from the American Quilters Society, including in membership to that organization.

Jan in VA
    Old 12-10-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    you know why-----we here are not advertising certain name brand fabrics to make our quilts.......the mag ones are pushing mfgrs.....and some of the color combos really hurt my eyes!!!!!!
    I think you really nailed it. By making quilts with only a certain "line" they can be very irratating on the eyes.