Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • quilting guild >
  • quilting guild

• quilting guild

Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM
    Power Poster

I belong to two guilds, one is small and my best quilting friends are members. The other is very large, I don't know but one or two members there. I joined the bigger guild for the workshops and classes from well known quilters. I'm never nervous in a group of people and speak up with questions if I'm confused. That breaks the ice better then anything. But it gets me on a lot of committees. Groups really like people who show an interest and will put you to work fast. LOL Give the guild a chance before dismissing it as not for you. It takes about five meeting before I feel part of a group.
    Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 AM
    Power Poster

Guilds have different ways of operating. Some have a social time either before or after the meeting, and others don't. Almost all of them have show and tell, which is usually the most popular activity. Most have a short business meeting. The size of the guild has a lot to do with whether you will be recognized as a new member. I also belong to both large and small guilds, and I enjoy each for different reasons. You may not feel that you are welcome at first in a large guild, but it is not because the other members are unfriendly - it is just that there are so many members that they don't know them all, and they may not even realize that you are new. In a smaller guild, the members will probably try to make you feel at home, but remember that they may also be shy. I hope you have a good experience at your first meeting. But if you don't, then give it several more tries and you're sure to make friends and enjoy going.
    Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Our guild has 2 meetings a month. The first one is a business meeting first and then show and tell, and if there is time, a short presentation by a guild member. The second meeting is a doing meeting. This is where we work on a specific project that is usually taught that night. There are supplies to bring for that meeting.
    If you have a LQS, usually someone there knows about what is happening in the guild, you might want to check with them. If that's not an option, just go and relax. I am the current president of our guild and try to get visitors to tell a little about themselves.
    I do think that most guilds look forward to new members. I think they bring a new perspective and interesting ideas to the mix.