Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it? >

Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

Unexpected Stash Inheritance == How would you handle it?

Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 AM

What a generous offer by your coworker. You also said that your friend is daunted by this lot of fabric so maybe you can help each other out. If you find the stash is not of "the quality you would pay for" then just say to your friend-"Wow, there is a lot of fabric, here. I would have to sew night and day for the next 30 years to use all this up." Then offer to sort for donation and what you want to take. She should appreciate your approach and your help. One thing I have learned about collecting the stash is that it can become unmanageable if not used or accessible.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
What a generous offer by your coworker. You also said that your friend is daunted by this lot of fabric so maybe you can help each other out. If you find the stash is not of "the quality you would pay for" then just say to your friend-"Wow, there is a lot of fabric, here. I would have to sew night and day for the next 30 years to use all this up." Then offer to sort for donation and what you want to take. She should appreciate your approach and your help. One thing I have learned about collecting the stash is that it can become unmanageable if not used or accessible.
I agree-you can sort and keep what you love and pass the rest on.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie View Post
Look at it this way. God has placed this stash in your hands for you to do something for him with it. He will also provide you the means to store or help find a home for what you cannot use right now.
I totally agree....
Old 01-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Even if you are unable to keep the fabric for your purposes, you can find the most suitable new home for the fabrics and other "stuff".
Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 AM

I think that as long as the donor is ok with you passing some things on to others that can or will use them , that you are doing the right thing.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM

You are a good friend....and good luck with this "gift". I think that this is the moment in our quilting lives where we have to decide what we want our family to do with our stash when we're gone. I've spoken to my husband and my 2 daughters. Each daughter has decided to take a sewing machine. I have the names of girls in my quilting ministry and guild for them to contact for the rest of the stuff. Neither of my daughters sew and my son would just dump it all in the trash. We collect our stash to eventually quilt with it so I think we need to make sure that the fabric and notions go to people who will use them.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 AM

It is an opportunity for you to get some more stash and for you to pass on the rest. There are so many people that cannot afford more fabric and you can help pass it to them.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Ask the friend to give you the stash in bunches so that you can deal with it in smaller groups. You honestly can't fit that much into the family room where you are staying, so you don't want it hanging out there more than a few days. Then pack up what YOU want, bring to storage unit and bring the other stuff immediately to where you plan to donate it. Plan ahead who you will give the excess to so you aren't holding the bag as it were.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
Ask the friend to give you the stash in bunches so that you can deal with it in smaller groups. You honestly can't fit that much into the family room where you are staying, so you don't want it hanging out there more than a few days. Then pack up what YOU want, bring to storage unit and bring the other stuff immediately to where you plan to donate it. Plan ahead who you will give the excess to so you aren't holding the bag as it were.
Great ideas! Handling it in small bunches will keep all of you from getting overwhelmed.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:36 PM

My son is also in the Army in Korea right now, in Daegu.