Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Begginers quilting class? >
  • Begginers quilting class?

• Begginers quilting class?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:41 AM

First some clarifications please ~ How many classes are offered? Do you learn different blocks (paper piecing, HST, and applique, etc)? Does this include a quilt book? You say that material is include, this is good but do you get to choose the fabric?

If it is multiple classes, let say 10 then the classes would be $20 per class. Worth it! Plus material, REALLY worth it.

Now if it ONE class and ONE block . . . not a deal IMHO (In My Humble Opinion). The LQS is selling their fabric for you to learn on.
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 AM

Have you thought about a Craftsy class? I am currently taking Quilting Quickly and also Machine Quilting. Both are regularly $59.99 but I got them half price. The thing I like about those classes is I can view them as many times as I want to; whenever I want to and can ask questions as well. Having 5 children at home does not really allow me to be able to go to a class at a specific time or day, so this is what works great for me. Individual preferences, of course.
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:47 AM

I agree with what some of the others have mentioned. For a single class, that's pretty expensive. However if it's a few classes, not so bad. Does that price include the fabric? I think a beginning quilting class is very useful so hopefully you find one that works for you.
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by 6swolcott
    I have the opportunity to take a class at my LQS My question is; is it worth it to do this, it will cost total including materials approx 200.00 This is a stretch for me as I do not work, and my wonderful DH has told me to just do it. I am currently quilting my first quilt , its a quillow and honestly it looks like i was nipping the bottle while quilting , my lines are not straight. I have not even attempted binding yet, I should also tell you I didn't even know how to sew, My wonderful bff who is extremely talented is helping me learn. Just looking for some feedback , I need to let them know by Saturday, and I'm sure i would enjoy the class but this small voice inside me says thats alot of fabric monies LOL thanks for any input
    What good is fabric if you don't know how to sew? Take the class. You'll probably learn all sorts of tricks and tips that will improve your sewing skills right from the start.
    Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 AM

I just finished a "quilting 101" class locally. I truly enjoyed it. $200, including fabric, sounds about the same. The class was $60 and the rest probably added up to $200 in total. I was able to see what the book said and ask question I didn't find in a book! Having a group setting also helped as someone usually asked the question I didn't even know to ask.
    Old 03-29-2012, 08:33 AM

Before making a decision, make sure that it is a beginner's class --- that everyone will be on pretty much the same level. My first class had beginners and some more experienced. The teacher taught to the more experienced, even though it was supposed to be beginners. If it is a pattern you like, it might be worth it. However, I think you might do better by continuing to learn on your own for a while, then take an intermediate class. I think you might gain so much more than when everything is so foreign to you.
    Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM

It's already been said: how many classes and what techniques are being taught.

If I had the $200 I would take only 1 class, that only features one pattern and one method of quilting. That way I would have a really nice quilt top. One type of class at the beginner's level at a time works. Down here that would be aobut $40.

Get to know your LQS owners and staff. Use them as resources. They may have ideas we do't even know about.ven community colleges have them. The places are a full quilting learning class from choosing a pattern, fabric, cutting fabric, sewing, layering, quilting, and binding. Though you don't have to do it all.

Some senior centers or community centers have classes or groups.

Even some churches have groups that do prayer blankets and such and are more than welcoming and willing to help you. I personally know of 3 such churches near me that do this and it is a really neat to see our compulsions/addiction benefit others as well.

With what you do't spend, then you could maybe afford do have a LA do your first top for you and then you take a class on putting the quilt together. Or there might be a quilting group or guild nearby that would help keep you positively focused and encouraged. Us quilters can't seem to help it. We tend to be friendly and helpful. A

Then there are quilting retreat specifically designed for each level of quilting. This is good if you can afford it and like the project being made.

I have taught quilting in my hone as there weren't enough students for the community center to support i. We had fun. It turned out to be one-on-one multiple sessions. We just set the times together but never was there mmmore than 1 student at a time. It worked for us all. I had a class course outlines with places for the students to make their own notes so that by referring back to the outline they could understand what was done. My language use is not necessarily yours. Too many times even an accomplished quilter has to rewrite directions with a quilt pattern they have bought.

I know you will find a way that is right for you.

ali
    Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 AM

I am a largely self-taught quilter with my education based on books and youtube. I would love to take a class, but like you, I can't justify spending that kind of money on myself. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
    Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the input, Loved your answer Scissors Queen, and you are sewwwwwwwwwww right. LOL, I should clarify the class is 8 weeks, the class is 120.00 plus approx 80.00 for materials, and yes you pick your own fabric and end up with a lap quilt when done. I think im going to do it, Ill post picks once i figure out how of my tipsy quilting and I think you would all agree. I lurk on her alot and have really learned alot from reading on here thanks
    Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 AM

That sounds very reasonable for an 8 week class--you'll be amazed how much you learn. Good luck!