Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Southern Fried Chicken >
  • Southern Fried Chicken

• Southern Fried Chicken

Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM

I make my fried chicken as in the recipes above.....the ones with the buttermilk soak. To the flour mixture I also add
    a bit of nutmeg, freshly grated if possible and a bit of dry mustard powder. I don't have exact measurements for the spices
    as each persons taste is a bit different. Start with less, you can always add more the next time.
    Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    thanks for the recipe

Your very welcome CraftyBear!
    Old 08-14-2012, 03:16 PM

My mom never took the skin off. Nor did she use buttermilk. She simply washed the cutup chicken, rolled (or shook it in bag) in flour with salt, pepper and paprika. Then she fried it in iron skillet with Crisco shortening. Meanwhile she boiled the potatoes for mashing. She poured off the water and saved it to make gravy with milk and leftover crispies from chicken pan. We ate the gravy with the potatoes and chicken, fresh vegetables and salad. Delicious.
    Old 08-14-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by marymm
    My mom never took the skin off. Nor did she use buttermilk. She simply washed the cutup chicken, rolled (or shook it in bag) in flour with salt, pepper and paprika. Then she fried it in iron skillet with Crisco shortening. Meanwhile she boiled the potatoes for mashing. She poured off the water and saved it to make gravy with milk and leftover crispies from chicken pan. We ate the gravy with the potatoes and chicken, fresh vegetables and salad. Delicious.
    mmmm, your recipe sounds so gooood, love how your mom used the crispies in the gravy.
    Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 AM

My mom and grandma made their chicken and gravy exactly like Marymm! Grandma always had fresh from the cow milk and there is just no way to duplicate the taste without it. I also make my skillet gravy by using the water from the potatoes.
    Old 08-15-2012, 05:03 PM

in
    when I used to fry chicken: cut up fryer in pieces you desire, wash, drain and dry with paper or cloth towel. put salt and pepper (until it is showing the black pepper) in enough flour to coat chicken three times, lay out on a towel, a new paper or clean cloth; let set for a few mins, perhaps 15 to 20 min; reflour.....dip back in the seasoned flour then fry in crisco that goes about half way up the biggest piece of chicken, brown on first side before turning, should cook in about 7 to 10mins, depends on how big the pieces are.
    REAL SAWMILL GRAVY: I grew up half way on a sawmill, so this is authenic. I grew up the rest of the way on a farm in South Georgia, mostly share croppin.

3 TBSP of crisco you fried the chicken in
    3 TBSP of the seasoned flour you dredged the chicken in

add flour to crisco and stir to brown, this is like a roux so brown it to your taste. ADD 1 can of milk, yes canned milk! then add about 1/2 can of water and stir to get all the bits and pieces out of the bottom of the iron skillett where you fried the chicken. GOOD STUFF!!!! be sure you do not use the sweet condensed milk!

Enjoy, delma
    Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM

I've only used Crisco to grease the pan for baking. Won't it catch fire quickly?
    Old 08-29-2012, 05:10 PM
    Power Poster

I made the recipe Dakota Rose posted. It was very good.