Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Where to get a carrying case for a Singer 99? >

Where to get a carrying case for a Singer 99?

Where to get a carrying case for a Singer 99?

Old 03-21-2019, 06:22 PM

I found a case, in pretty good shape, for a 99K a few years ago at a garage sale for $15. Plus.......... it came with a nice 99K inside!

Jim
Old 03-22-2019, 10:58 AM

A case for the 99 or 185 doesn't turn up that often, at least not with out a machine. I have seen two or three types of cases for these (except for the plastic case some 185 comes in); the early type is a black suit case type where one of the sides come off and inside there is a 99 in a dark oak lacquered base. It can be covered in something that look like black crocodile or snake skin, or more plain surface pattern.

The later (two) types are often two tone in cream and burgundy (upholstered with pvc on woven cotton), the top is fitted to the base with a clean on each side of the short sides. There is one version with straight angles and sides, making a rectagular box shape; on the other version he sides on the lid is slightly tapered towards the top. As far as I know they are made of relatively sturdy plywood, usually in good condition even 50 or more years old. Sometimes the outer upholstery look a bit worn. They are covered in a type of pvc treated woven cotton. With the right tools available and a bit of skill making one should not be an impossible DIY project.

Helen Howes has a few, but I guess postage and packing is a bit prohibitive to the US.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:45 AM

I would think a plastic Spartan case should fit it, but they are very brittle by now. Probably not good more more than a dust cover.