Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Examples of Vintage Singer 301 Quilting >
  • Examples of Vintage Singer 301 Quilting

• Examples of Vintage Singer 301 Quilting

Old 03-20-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute
    I have quite a few machines, but the Singer 301 is always my go to machine for fmq. Since I repair machines, I also get to test them, and have tested over a hundred for fmq. The Singer 301 is the best, hands down. (Second would either be a Pfaff 130 or a new Janome I just bought.) The fact that the 301 takes any thread (beware of YLI, however) and has a vertical bobbin put it in the number one spot.

You did a great job on the quilting. I love the big flowers.
    What FMQing foot did you use for your 130? I have quite a large collection of various darning and embroidery feet and all of them put too much pressure on the fabric. Even lowering the foot pressure all the way... I've found the Pfaff 360 is a great FMQing machine. However, the card table for the 301 makes it the easiest and smoothest to use for FMQing.
    Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 PM

Thanks for showing this. I've been afraid to try my 301 for FMQ.
    Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM

Wow!!! You FMQ on the quilts is wonderful! I have a 301A that I had serviced a year ago. I need to get it out and try to FMQ with it. Any tips to a beginner using a 301? Mine is a short bed, if that makes a difference.
    Old 03-20-2013, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
    Wow!!! You FMQ on the quilts is wonderful! I have a 301A that I had serviced a year ago. I need to get it out and try to FMQ with it. Any tips to a beginner using a 301? Mine is a short bed, if that makes a difference.
    Just go for it. The long bed does not offer any advantage to FMQing better. I have both the short and long beds. The flat surface, like a table to set the machine into, is what makes it easier. Get out a practice project and run with it!
    Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM

Lovely, simply lovely work!
    Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM

I love your free motion work. I just do meandering mainly. Time for me to branch out some. I have 2 301's and haven't FM with either yet. I usually use my singer 15 to FM.
    Old 03-21-2013, 03:45 AM

I have a singer 401. You can Quilt with it to? I picked it up at a tag sale. With all the attachments. I downloaded the book, now JUST learn how to use it. WOW is it Heavy. No plastic part's. I'm going to use the walking foot to Quilt. I hope that's right. Help, Any idea's?
    Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by kath62
    I have a singer 401. You can Quilt with it to? I picked it up at a tag sale. With all the attachments. I downloaded the book, now JUST learn how to use it. WOW is it Heavy. No plastic part's. I'm going to use the walking foot to Quilt. I hope that's right. Help, Any idea's?
    IMO the 401 and that series(along with the 500) are only good for straight quilting with a walking foot. They are my absolute least favorite machines for FMQing. They have too many negatives and the stitch quality is poor for that. I love them for piecing and straight quilting but NOT for FMQing. Sorry:<
    Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    IMO the 401 and that series(along with the 500) are only good for straight quilting with a walking foot. They are my absolute least favorite machines for FMQing. They have too many negatives and the stitch quality is poor for that. I love them for piecing and straight quilting but NOT for FMQing. Sorry:<
    I agree with Candace. I have a 401, 404, and a 500 and they aren't good for FMQing.
    Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM

I have 4- 301s. Two always have quilts on them in FMQ progress. I use an all metal foot, I did not like the plastic end ones. I think the visibility and manuverability is better. I just love the quilting on them. The 401 has to raise the needle plate for quilting, and I find it hard to sew with that. I use the 401 for piecing or zigzag. The 301 is easily portable for workshops. I use Isacord thread for quilting- thin and strong.
    Linda