Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is this pattern >

What is this pattern

What is this pattern

Old 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM

I have a sneaky suspicion that the small triangles are the cut off half of the flying geese triangles. If you use the no waste flying geese units you wont get the cut off sections. I would need a closer look.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by diamondee View Post
I have a sneaky suspicion that the small triangles are the cut off half of the flying geese triangles. If you use the no waste flying geese units you wont get the cut off sections. I would need a closer look.
I agree with this! I thought of it after I went to bed last night. Ever dream about quilting designs???
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM

OK - I have been playing with this! I really like the HST in the Irish Chain - I am thinking that this would be a great alternate block in a baby quilt! So this is what I played with ...

Assuming that the Duchman blocks are 12" square the blue HSTs are 1' finished (pretty tiny for my likes) so I went back and made the HSTs 2" finished in the green rendition. I like both and have saved both in my EQ lol!! Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails snap.jpg   snap2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I love that Betty likes to graph these out like I do...but she gets to use EQ with the grid already drawn! I have to work in Paint and create my own. But we came to the same conclusion -- the means justifies the end I guess.

Here's mine, with the math and instructions worked out. Use both of ours to create your quilt, but be sure to show it afterward!!

Jan in VA

You all know that I am the queen of snowballs, so note that I did not make the chain block with HSTs but used less piecing with rectangles instead.
Attached Thumbnails dutchmans-puzzle-sashing-block.jpg  

Last edited by Jan in VA; 03-26-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 AM

Oh Jan - lol - you are so funny!! Actually I would probably make them the same way (half of a flying goose) - it was just easier to draw then out in EQ the way that I did. Your layout actually splits the difference in size between my two. May have the draft that one as well and save it!!

I agree - once you have made it, please show it off!!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM

Wow, Ya'll did it, great job. Me I would have sat there and tried to do it manually. I'm saving for my future, future , when I get better.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Jan I love your way of approahing the small triangles. So much easier to handle that size. Love it! Luann
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by patti p View Post
Hi good Afternoon i was looking for a new pattern to try adn i found this image and really like the pattern i found the name of the large block Dutchmans windmill? i think. but the block that has all the little triangles in it that makes it all look like it is framed in does anyone know the name of that block and where can i find a pattern for it.
I tried to enlarge the quilt enough to see the little triangles and can't quite decide. What comes to mind from what I can see is that the white/little triangles are snowball blocks with just one corner piece.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:51 AM

OH My Thank You all for figuring it out for me. I will have to study these in detail and pratice a block or two, This message board is Awsome and I will post a picture when i get it all finished.or when i get a block set how i like it. I am almost done with the one i have in the works now, this is my next one to try. it will be a queen size for my 80year old Mom.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Power Poster

Very interesting pattern. I hope you find it.