Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever done THIS?!? >

Have you ever done THIS?!?

Have you ever done THIS?!?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:53 AM

I did that with my first quilt. I was trying to learn to sew, and reading everything I could get my hands on. I forgot to read to quilt first then bind. I reversed them. My son is the owner of the quilt and will not let me repair it - he likes the big clumps where I quilted from side to side (hand quilted - my first and only!), so when I got to the far side - I had too much quilt, I didn't know how to rectify it - so I left it, he wanted it - and loves it! I am not too proud of that quilt, but for a beginner I guess it was o.k. He says it keeps him warm and that is what quilts are for.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Well....now that I know that mistake happens, I'm sure it will end on my "to do" list!!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM

I've quilted many quilts eith the binding already on and worked just fine.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:20 PM

i have not done this, however, plenty of others. I hope you did not have to remove the binding. send picture or is it gone?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Power Poster

I haven't done that one, but have made many mistakes. Human nature.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 AM
Power Poster

Hate when things like that happen.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 AM

Your spray basting should hold your layers together so you can quilt after the binding is on. I like to glue baste by quilts with Elmer's school glue, ditch stitch to stabilize my quilt. I do the ditch stitching vertically and horizontally. Then, I square up my quilt and apply the binding. By so doing my binding is finished about the time the quilting is done. I quilt awhile and bind awhile-works for me. If you have stabilized with spray baste or ditch stitching you should not have movement towards the edges.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by AuntSuSuSews View Post
I got ahead of myself by a long shot. I was hoping to finish a quilt for a friend's birthday which is today. I finished the top, spray basted, then thought, "I can get this binding on now and hand stitch the back while I watch tv tonight." So, I squared it up, cut the binding, and had 3/4's of the binding done on the machine, when I froze. I hadn't quilted it. Good grief. So now it's seam ripper time to take the binding off, then hope that I can still quilt it without messing things up. I'll probably do SID, which sounds safe.
Am I the first to make this mistake??
Oh boy did I , I was in a cq christmas stocking swap . I made the stockings , they looked like I was forgetting something but I couldn't see it. After I mailed them out , I got an email with a picture. I had forgotten to add the bling . Since it was to late to do it on those, I made each one another stocking with the bling. Never felt dumber than that. hehehe
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Nope, haven't done that yet. Although I machine quilt, so that's not even a possibility. No one minds a late birthday gift.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 AM

I haven't made that particular mistake yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. If a mistake can be made, at some point I'll make it LOL. Hope you were able to get things finished without too much ripping.