Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there an easier way to give birth? >

Is there an easier way to give birth?

Is there an easier way to give birth?

Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I usually leave a bit more seam allowance in the area to be left open for turning. and you might do a basting stitch in that area too to keep it from stretching when handling. Very cute project. Keep going, it will get easier.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:05 AM
DJ

Cute, cute owl!

You might try sewing all the way around and then making a slit in the eyes-nose area, turn through that hole, and then applique the eyes and nose over the slit. Or you could leave the wings free, make a slit under one of them and turn through that slit and top stitch the wings down. It really looks great the way you're doing it though.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
I am of course referring to turning finished items inside out - this is a quilting forum, lol!

I've made a couple of these pot holders now and although I leave a bigger gap than recommended in the pattern (whole space between his ears) turning him the right way is really difficult. It's layered with Insul-Bright and cotton batting and I really stretch the fabric, almost to tearing.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]415527[/ATTACH]
I totally agree with TARTAN. Where the slit is, is perfect. You're doing fine.
I have a turning tool that looks like a miniature ice handler, (the one the ice man used to bring a big block of ice for your ice box). You put one tooth of the tool into the project, take a "bite" of the corner you want to turn, and turn it inside out. The tool helps to push out the peaks. Of course the seam allowance in the peaks should be trimmed. A wood stylus would help to poke corners, too. Just don't get carried away and poke holes in your seams. LOL

And the easiest way to get the batting inside to lay flat and straight is to sew it into the seams. Makes them bulky, but that's OK.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:13 AM

Just too cute to put a pot on it!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:31 AM

I love the owl! I have done a few and and do tend to clip around the out side edges before I try to turn it.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:48 AM

What an adorable pot holder!
Old 05-27-2013, 05:54 AM

You may want to piece that back as two pieces, and leave a large opening in that seam which can be handstitched after turning, as in this tutorial for a pin cushion:

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2012/03/...incushion.html
Old 05-27-2013, 05:54 AM

I like that idea of sewing all around, and making a slit in the eyes/nose area to turn through.
Otherwise, you could make as you have, and topstitch all the way around, not just across the top, then it will look the same all around.

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
Cute, cute owl!

You might try sewing all the way around and then making a slit in the eyes-nose area, turn through that hole, and then applique the eyes and nose over the slit. Or you could leave the wings free, make a slit under one of them and turn through that slit and top stitch the wings down. It really looks great the way you're doing it though.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:56 AM

Really cute. Will make great gifts.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 AM

It helps if you sew from the edge of the fabric to the seam line and then stitch around to where you are leaving the opening and then turn and sew to edge of fabric. That way it is more stable when turning. Also I press the two sides open so is easier when hand stitching closed. Hope this makes sense.