Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A Water Soluble Marker That Lasts? >
  • A Water Soluble Marker That Lasts?

• A Water Soluble Marker That Lasts?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by KR
    Me, too! Frixion marks will iron off. Some worry about remaining residue but I always wash quilts after they're finished and have had great success.
    KR, can we please see a BIG pic of your avatar? Love cat quilts!!
    Old 06-28-2013, 10:16 PM

I have been using Crayola Washable markers too. I usually mark my quilting lines with them and have been doing mostly QAYG blocks so sometimes they sit for a while before assembling and finishing the entire quilt. I don't mark them lightly either -- I use a ruler and really draw on them so I can see where I'm going when quilting. By the time the finished quilt is washed, the marks have been on the fabric for quite a while and have also been ironed several times as well! I don't know if it matters, but I use all 100% cotton fabric, thread and batting (no poly or blends). I've used almost all of the colors and have found no difference -- they have all washed out without a trace. I love them and they are probably one of my least expensive quilting "tools"!
    Old 06-29-2013, 01:34 AM

I use any water erasable I can find. I find that my marks have spritz off for me to iron. I do wash finally as well.
    I have 2 friend , one who wrote her label ready. For quilting next day. When she got up couldn't find her writing on a label.
    The other friend marked her quilt ready for quilting the next day. You know the rest.
    I personally used one had dinner at a class and had to remark so not my favourite, stick to water erasable.
    Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 AM
    Power Poster

I also am a fan of the ceramic pencils- a very nice fine line- available in multiple colors (I have green, yellow, pink and white) a light-fine line shows up well & lasts until you remove it. I have erased (pencil comes with fabric eraser) a few small lines- but generally-since I wash every completed quilt- I just leave the marks until the quilt is finished; quilted & bound; then I wash/dry it- the marks are gone.
    Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    GhostRider ... I'm still looking for the ultimate marker. When you say the Sewline needs to be washed off ... washed as in the washing machine? Or does it disappear with a spritz of water? Please? and Thanks!
    The marks can be made "locally" wet, QuiltE...spray, dab, brush, etc. I use a small artist's brush to wet just on the lines and then blot dry.
    Old 06-29-2013, 06:17 AM
    Power Poster

just be careful of Crayola markers. I used green on yellow fabric. I did test but on my quilt- it took six washes with everything I had on hand to get those marks out. normally I soak makers out, spin, refill the tub and soak and spin. done.
    Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    The marks can be made "locally" wet, QuiltE...spray, dab, brush, etc. I use a small artist's brush to wet just on the lines and then blot dry.
    Kind of like localized rain showers!!

Thanks Ghostie ... now I need to find one!
    We have a Shop Hop coming in July ... and will add that to my Mission List!
    Old 06-29-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
    just be careful of Crayola markers. I used green on yellow fabric. I did test but on my quilt- it took six washes with everything I had on hand to get those marks out.
    Lots of people say they've had problems with one color or another, but I think it is the combination of the fabric/color/etc. (which varies from quilt to quilt) that causes the problem. That said, every time I use a new color on a new quilt project I always think in the back of my mind, "Will THIS be the one that won't come out?"
    Old 06-29-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Kind of like localized rain showers!!

Thanks Ghostie ... now I need to find one!
    We have a Shop Hop coming in July ... and will add that to my Mission List!
    I had one all set aside in a box to mail to you, label and all, but I had an emergency and had to use it when mine jammed up suddenly (due to operator error). My bad. Let me know if your quest is unsuccessful, 'kay?
    Old 06-29-2013, 03:02 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I had one all set aside in a box to mail to you, label and all, but I had an emergency and had to use it when mine jammed up suddenly (due to operator error). My bad. Let me know if your quest is unsuccessful, 'kay?
    Will do! I kind of like going on the Hops with a Mission (or six) ... if they have what I want, then great, I get it. If they don't, then it shows that I wanted to do business but they couldn't provide it for me! It helps me feel less obligated to buy, just for the sake of ... and even leave sometimes with nothing (not often, of course!!). The other thing on my list ... Dear Jane book and software. (What am I thinking?)