Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Difficult hand quilting >
  • Difficult hand quilting

• Difficult hand quilting

Old 08-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Default My Pull Thru Trick

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Mea Culpa! Yes, a broccoli elastic is the wide rubber band that holds heads of broccoli together in the supermarket. We quilters find them great for folding over the needle for a good grip. They sell rubber "needle gripper" rubber circles in quilt shops if you want to buy one. You can also use pliers to pull a loaded needle through but they can bend the needle if you are not careful.
    I sometimes forget that not everyone has the same level of quilting terms, experience or knowledge, sorry.
    I use a short piece of plastic tubing about 11/2inches long, slip the tubing over the needlepoint, pinch and pull. The tubing I am referring to is what they use for fish aquariums etc. CHEAP especially if you don't like broccoli lol.
    Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM

I use the rubber fingertips usually associated with paper sorting or paper $$ counting. A box of 12 or so is just a couple of $$ in the office supply store. Stays on my fingertip with no issue and don't have the bother of picking up/putting down.

That said, as others have asked...what brand/size needle are you using; what thread; what batting. I use warm & natural batting all the time - even though many others have issues hand quilting it, I don't seem to. I use Roxanne #11 or #12 needles. Thread, not so picky...whatever brand happens to have the color I want for the project I'm doing. Experiment with different brands/sizes of needles and different brands of thread. Make sure you are using a specifically labeled hand quilting thread. I find that 'thread heaven' - a thread conditioner - helps the thread slide through the layers a bit better as well.
    Old 08-13-2013, 03:25 PM

Next time you get blood work done ask for the tourniquet , We just throw them away after each patient. I cut mine into small pieces and one will last forever !

I like being thrifty