Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I admit I neep help ! >

I admit I neep help !

I admit I neep help !

Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 AM

If your accumulation is interfering with your enjoyment , it truly is time to purge. Do a few PIF's on this board. Find a guild that does charity work and donate. Find a quilt buddy to assist in purging, making sure they have the resolve to support your final outcome objectives. And second stay off the internet more ... only allow your self a certain amount of time and stick to it. Third give yourself some sewing goals, and reward yourself with something other than buying fabric. And put a big sign up "more output, no more input".

Last edited by Lori S; 09-15-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 AM

Lori S, I like your suggestion..... 'stay off the internet more'.... you know there are devises to limit the kid's use of the internet. Maybe adults should use it on themselves.... haha.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 AM

I think we all have this addiction and we all tend to enable each other. If we REALLY wanted to stop buying fabric, we would.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I have not bought fabric since about a year ago except for one six yard piece I used for a backing on a UFO. So I can count that one done.

I promised myself that I would only work with fabric I have to make and finish The many tops I have started or planned.

After saying no a few times to myself, it did get easier. I have gone to quilt shows and come out only with a pattern or two and a LAM ruler and a square up ruler for HSTs.

I am proud of myself.

I am sorry not to be purchasing new material from LQS, but the way I see it, I bought so much over the last several years that I have done a good part to keep these stores in business. I just can't afford it any more and I am truley sorry for that.

I am now enjoying what good fortune I have with what I own now.
peace
Old 09-15-2013, 10:08 AM

I don't think anyone should fee guilty about your stash. Instead, I view my fabric as art and I am and art collector and have an art collection. I love looking at beautiful fabric as much as I love looking at paintings on a wall. Some people spend thousands on paintings and hang them on the wall and never look at them. Buying fabric is much cheaper. Sometimes, I even have a hard time cutting up a beautiful fabric to turn it into a quilt because the fabric is so beautiful itself. I look for quilt patterns that use large pieces of fabric to showcase the fabric. There is a trend now that I see in magazines where people stretch a piece of fabric over a cavas and hang it on the wall Sounds like a great idea to me!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 AM

GOT AN IDEA. For all those who have an abundance of quilt tops and need to be finished or scraps, or a larger stash adn want to reduce, maybe you gals can sew up soem warm blankets for the victims in colorado who and are affected by the floods. Since winter is just around the corner for them-they will be in dire need of some warmth. Is one way to reduce your stash. Dont have to fancy-just warm. Just thinking!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:24 AM

I've decided that I will make scrappy quilts from the fabric I have on hand but that it is going to be ok to buy fabric if I want to make a specific quilt and don't have the fabrics necessary for it. Right now I'm itching to make a bright chevron quilt and have been telling myself no but I think I'm going to go for it! I've made 4 quilts, a Professional Tote and two Classmate bags using my stash only. I think it's ok to buy some fabric now!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the replies, I plan to reduce by at least half MAYBE MORE ! I have spent the past two days making up a few kits and the rest except my large scrap collection has got to go, I find that complicated patterns just irritate me and I enjoy scrappies, so except for the few kits I made up and my scraps it is all going . I am trying not to think of the money wasted UGH! I have not bought anything for at least a year but like I said there is too much in my tiny house and I have found myself not sewing for quite sometime because it is overwhelming to drag it out to get what I need , I also find that what I used to like is not what I like now LOL ! I have the PIF,several boxes now of older fabrics and hopefully sell at a very low price the newer fabrics

Last edited by raedar63; 09-15-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 AM

I tell myself the same thing and promise me I will not buy anymore fabric until I finish some of the projects I have in the works. But then something comes up like a baby shower or a friend wants to go to a shop and I simply can't resist. Last week when my sisters were here I think I bought something from every shop we visited and I bought a kit for a beautiful quilt that will go in my pile of to-dos. Oh well, I justify it as being useful stuff where others buy things they may never use, wear or will never be beneficial to others. Do I sound like I have myself talked into my fabric buying being justified?
Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

I thought I had my buying fabric under control but last week when I cleaned my sewing room I discovered I was wrong. I am embarrassed at the amount of projects I have started to. Guess I have to get locked in my sewing room and get busy.
Wish I knew the answer to this.