Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New quilter >

New quilter

New quilter

Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by missred212 View Post
I am a realitively new quilter. I have made 4 baby quilts. They all were variations of the 4 patch. This time around I decided that I want going to try doing a diamond made out of triangles. It looks ok but there is something not right about it. I notice more and more as I assemble it. I think it's because the triangles arent perfect. I am not sure. I am going to get a Accuquilt in Feb with my tax returns (we call it christmas in Feb at our house lol).

But until then do you guys have any sugestions? Any tips?
We need more information from you. You say the triangles might not be perfect. Explain this. Is your seams accurate. Analyze the situation and tell us what happened and how they are not perfect. Without good info we are speculating the answer.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Welcome from Florida! Triangles are my "bug a boo." i try to avoid them, and if not, I make sure to use spray sizing on my fabric before even cutting the fabric. That does help a bit. Hope your quilt turns out okay. :-)

Last edited by coopah; 10-14-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The main problem with triangles are the bias edges. Bias stretches and can be difficult to work with. It helps to starch your fabric before cutting, pin your pieces together to avoid stretching them and sew carefully.
This is the basic truth. Then pretend you are a carpenter and measure twice and cut once.

The Accuquilt Go is nice. I have tried it and I can't use it due to my limited strength and all. It hurt to even attempt to roll the die through the machine. Also, if you want different sizes then you need different dies. $$$.

I have the QuiltCut2 by Alto's. It isn't mechanical and I can use it easily when cutting 2 layers of material. I can adjust the angle for cutting in multiple ways. When it isn't in use I have it in a case and then that is covered with rip stop nylon to keep it all free from dust more easily. The website is: sewezquilting.com
Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Can you post a picture of your block?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 PM

Welcome to the board from Texas. You will love your Accuquilt.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 PM

Welcome to the board. Triangles are the first problem met by new quilters. Spray starch works wonders. Also have a look through utube and see the different methods of cutting more than one at a time and sewing lines before cutting the shape. Triangles and bias cuts are used by many projects. They are fun and just relax when working with them.
Keep coming here for more tricks.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:16 PM

Welcome to this board. There is a lot of information here. Almost anything you need to know someone here knows.

Also...you are a new quilter, but are you a new sewer? If so, I'd advise that you get more experience doing some straight stitches--maybe do some rectangles or a 4 patch or something--just to give you more confidence before trying triangles. They can be tricky.

However, if you are an experienced seamstress, with a lot of experience manipulating fabric, then "go for it" is my advice!