Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need to replace my iron! >
  • Need to replace my iron!

• Need to replace my iron!

Old 12-18-2013, 05:17 AM

I have an oreck i got from my mother when she passed on and
    i just love it. i think it is about 35 or 40 dollars.
    Old 12-18-2013, 05:52 AM

I purchased a cordless Panasonic iron from Walmart it was $30 - $50 (I can't remember exact price) and I love it my only problem is remembering to put it on stand so it stays hot. The only down side is you can't press for a long period cause it has to go on stand to heat up. I just finished a king size quilt yesterday for a Xmas gift and I loved not having to deal with the cord.
    Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 AM

My Rowenta needs its cord fixed, so in the meantime I am using a very cheap Black & decker. It only weighs 1.5 pounds, and while that requires more arm motion while pressing clothes, it requires almost no effort for short quilt block seams. When you think of all the wrist flipping we do in a lifetime of ironing, I wish I'd gotten it years ago.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 12-18-2013, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

I hate shopping for irons! I still have my old one (Singer 30 years old). DH wants to know when I'm going to pitch it. I use it for transferring heavy duty veneers for trim. My newer one (3 yrs old) shuts off automatically, when it thinks I'm not using it. Right in the middle or just before I need to press or iron. I hate it.
    Old 12-18-2013, 06:33 AM
    Power Poster

A DH cares that frets about what kind of iron you have or will buy for quilting? Goodness I have a shelf full of irons and I doubt my DH even knows where the shelf is. LOL
    Old 12-18-2013, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions ladies.

I'm leaning towards a shark iron. I have a shark mop and shark vacuum and love them.

Df has a mind set where if it's a tool you get the best you can so it works right the first time. That's probably why his snap on dealer loves him lol.
    Old 12-18-2013, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

I have both expensive and cheap both are nice irons so it is really up to you.
    Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 AM

If you don't use steam, I recommend the Continental dry iron. It gets hot and stays hot -- no auto-shut off. It's available on Amazon for around $45 and someone in another thread said she bought one at Home Depot for around $25. The sole plate is solid -- no holes. I got mine to use with fusibles (no little round spots that aren't fused), but now I use it for everything. If I need steam, I spritz with water or use Best Press.
    Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 PM

If you ask 100 quilters what is the best iron, you will probably get 100 different answers, and close to 100 good reasons why they made their choice! Too bad you can't test drive them the way you can sewing machines!

I two two Digital Advantage irons from Black and Decker, middle of the road on price and I love them. They have nice long cords, hold a lot of water (I'm fond of steam) and although they turn off pretty quick, they also heat up fast. I am hard on irons and usually bought cheap because I wind up replacing them so often. I had nothing but problems with three Rowentas, but have not tried any of the newer high end irons like Oliso, etc. Since I built my big board, I don't knock my iron off the board as often since it's more stable. Hopefully I won't be replacing the ones I have now too soon. Good luck!
    Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 PM

I ended up buying another black and decker iron. The selling point over the shark was the retractable cord. With having a toddler who lives to yank stuff off shelves it is handy to have.

I think I will also get a small travel iron for doing small seam pressing. Having a really small iron seems quite handy to me so it's something I'm going to think about.