Cheater quilts for the bottom of the bed

Cheater quilts for the bottom of the bed

Old 12-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

here's a few to look at http://www.anniescatalog.com/quilt/l...ml?cat_id=1747
Old 12-20-2013, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Cheater quilts as in the preprinted fabric?? ..........
....... or are you meaning those bed runner thingss that make absolutely no sense to me??
(other than to be a nuisance!!)

Now ... I'll probably get flamed by those that totally love them, but honestly, I just don;t "get" them!
to help you 'get' them, i can think of two good reasons off hand.
1. if you get cold feet in the night, but the rest of you is warm, i think the bedrunner may be a good solution.
2. if you have a very plain bed spread that you just love, but want to add a certain something to the decor, a bed runner could fit the bill quite nicely.

ps... this is not a flame
Old 12-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Plus it's a smaller project when you don't want to do a larger quilt.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:56 AM

Actually its a decorating thing to match the chair I reupholstered for her (posted in ChitChat - Definitely not a Quilt )
MK
Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM

Doesn't the bedrunner just slide off? I've seen these at hotels (and rolled my eyes at them). They were very light. I can't imagine them staying in place or warming anything. Unless I'm missing something here. Seems more like decor to me.

Hugs, charlotte
Old 12-20-2013, 11:14 AM

I am sure if I put a bed runner on our bed, ( and I do suffer with cold feet ) it would be on the floor within the first hour, they way DH tosses and turns vbg
Old 12-20-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
Lovely toe warmers!
That's what I use them for if my feet get cold or just a small quilt on the boom of the bed.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 AM

BOTTOM of the bed
Old 12-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Love and use bed runners -- make mine -- using 90" of 44-45" fabric, cut in half length-wise, sandwiched, quilted and bound for our queen size bed. It lays atop the comforter, coming to within a couple of inches of the comforter's binding when centered on the bed. Ideal for gathering gear for the day (purse, tote, sweater, etc.) before heading out, and my husband's bare feet when he takes a nap in the afternoon. We remove it at night. Pillow cases made to match. First one made out of cheater fabric in pineapple pattern, stippled. Second one has patterned stripes. One in the works will be Twisters, using scraps from various pillow cases made to coordinate with sheets and comforter. These are popular in hotels because folks put their suitcases on the end of the bed to unpack, etc. Living in a "barefoot" climate, never wearing socks, it helps to insure a clean comforter top. And no, they don't slide off, tho' they might if left on the bed at night. We don't use ours for warmth, it's quilted because that's our preference. Gives a finished look to our bedroom.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
RST

I've always thought that if I made one, I'd try to make it a size that was versatile and could work as a wall hanging in a stairwell, or as an upright piano topper. I like them -- A solid, boring old comforter is a practical choice for most of the beds in our house, but I like the look of a quilted item, so I have throw quilts that I've made to leave folded at the foot of the bed together with pillow shams and throw pillows. A runner would just be another option. The long, narrow shape translates to being much easier to quilt, less fabric expended, less time to make, so it's a great choice for decor that may not be a lifelong commitment for me. I like painting my bedroom different colors fairly often, and I like having quilted items that "go".