Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which do you prefer..... >

Which do you prefer.....

Which do you prefer.....

Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 PM
RST

I've prefered the moda bella solids I've used to kona -- but I use both. Kona I have sometimes had issues with bleeding (a recent Pacific blue was a bleeder) and I find it to be a coarser weave. Even so, I have access to a wider range of colors for better prices with Kona than Moda, so I buy what I want and don't stress it.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 PM

I have mostly Kona solids but I did get some Moda Bella solid a while back because I had a fab shop gc to spend. I have not used it yet though. I have both a Kona and a Bella color chart.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Just a question: where do you get the Kona color charts? I order most of my fabrics online and that would be a great help.
I bought mine here: http://www.cvquiltworks.com/shop/pro...es-new-colors/
I don't know if they one they're offering now is the newest. I bought my Bella card at Hancock's of Paducah so maybe they have Kona cards too (I think they were OOS when I bought mine).
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 PM

I love the Kona solids, and even bought a bolt of the Kona Snow because I use so much of it. I love the way it looks. I've also had some Moda solids, and in my experience, they do not match the Kona colors well enough to use in the same quilt, for example, if you're trying to use the same color of each. I don't have the expense account for the Moda line. Kona is more affordable, and I have also used the RJR solids with excellent results; but again, I didn't try to mix the RJR with either the Kona or the Moda.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I bought mine here: http://www.cvquiltworks.com/shop/pro...es-new-colors/
I don't know if they one they're offering now is the newest. I bought my Bella card at Hancock's of Paducah so maybe they have Kona cards too (I think they were OOS when I bought mine).
Thanks so much for the info. Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I love the Kona Snow. I use it to do all my embroidery. (by hand) Its a nice soft white.
I use Kona snow most of the time over the white. Years ago I switched from P&B solids to using Kona cottons. I have never tried Moda solids. Noticed Michaelal Miller has come out with a large line of solids too.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
Just a question: where do you get the Kona color charts? I order most of my fabrics online and that would be a great help.
The Kona color swatch card is currently on sale at Hancock's of Paducah for $19.95 (reg $30.00).
Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I don't use either, so I don't have an opinion. I buy whatever I find and is reasonably priced. I have not bought any stringy or fraying fabrics. Guess I go by the feel.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:51 PM

I love Kona snow as well. It is my go to white. I have used both Kona and Moda solids and do not notice a quality difference.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I've prefered the moda bella solids I've used to kona -- but I use both. Kona I have sometimes had issues with bleeding (a recent Pacific blue was a bleeder) and I find it to be a coarser weave. Even so, I have access to a wider range of colors for better prices with Kona than Moda, so I buy what I want and don't stress it.
I agree... I don't like the feel of Kona as well as Bella. Since I use it for background most of the time I buy Bella as I'm not needing to match colors.