Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • machine binding back first or front first >
  • machine binding back first or front first

• machine binding back first or front first

Old 01-09-2014, 02:44 PM

For most quilts I machine sew the binding on by sewing it on the back first, then turning it to the front so that the edge covers the stitching from the back, then very neatly topstitch from the front very close to the edge of the binding. This puts the topstitching through on the backing just inside the binding. I get a nice, neat, and very durable binding this way.

If, however, it is a very 'special' quilt, I will sew to the front and hand stitch on the back.
    Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 PM
    Power Poster

I usually apply binding to the front and then fold over to the back about 95% of the time. Sometimes I hand stitch it down but also have machine stitched it from the front. But if I feel like doing a decorative stitch on the front, I will apply to the back first.
    Old 01-09-2014, 04:15 PM

it seems everyone does it a little different Now, here's another question that may have a few different answers, do you use a walking foot to sew on binding or a 1/4 inch foot? or another foot?
    Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 PM
    Power Poster

walking foot does best but I have a bit of difficulty doing a good 1/4 inch then.
    Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Stitch on top first, and hand-sew the back. Hate that hand-sewing!!
    Old 01-09-2014, 06:10 PM

I only know and like one way, sew on front and hand stitch on back. For some reason, I think it still gives it that old quilt look, since most of my quilts lately have been MQ.
    Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 PM

I do lots of charity quilts and can't afford the time it takes to hand sew the bindings. I like to sew it on the back and bring to the front. I use my stitch in the ditch foot, run the blade right along the edge of the binding, and set the needle over just enough to catch the binding. This gives a nice even finish.
    Old 01-10-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz
    I think it is if you are going to do handwork, stitch binding to the top and finsh the back by hand and if you are going to put it all on by machine, stitch to the back first then bring around to the top and stitch down by machine.
    I would do the binding this way also. Since most all of my quilts are charity quilts I always sew on the binding on the back, then pull the binding to the front and I try, but am not always successful, to stitch on the row of stitching under the binding. For my charity quilts I believe the machine binding is more durable.
    Old 01-10-2014, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by bee3
    it seems everyone does it a little different Now, here's another question that may have a few different answers, do you use a walking foot to sew on binding or a 1/4 inch foot? or another foot?
    I always use the walking foot to sew on the binding and also to finish the binding when I pull the binding to the front and sew on the stitching line.
    Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
    For most quilts I machine sew the binding on by sewing it on the back first, then turning it to the front so that the edge covers the stitching from the back, then very neatly topstitch from the front very close to the edge of the binding. This puts the topstitching through on the backing just inside the binding. I get a nice, neat, and very durable binding this way.

If, however, it is a very 'special' quilt, I will sew to the front and hand stitch on the back.
    This is my preferred way also