Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP making a flannel quilt. >
  • HELP making a flannel quilt.

• HELP making a flannel quilt.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM

After making several quilts Im now going to attempt a flannel one. Im wondering if using a very light weight fusible interfacing on the fabric would help to stabilize the stretching. Any opinions on this idea would be appreciated.
    Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 PM

I have never had any problem sewing flannel, I don't even feel it is any stretchier than any other cotton I know lots of people who make rag quilts with flannel, I sewed part of one, just not fond of the style personally but it sews just like any other cotton, just make sure its 100% cotton flannel....
    Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Ive made quite a few flannel quilts.. no problems...
    Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 PM
    Power Poster

My very first quilt was flannel. Made it for my baby granddaughter. 3"squares. No prewashing (which I do now for flannel only). Didn't starch. Didn't use wider seams. Didn't press seams open. It is flannel front and back with warm and natural batting. It is over 10 years old and washed many times and she still uses it at almost 11 years old. Go for it!!
    Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 AM
    Power Poster

set your fears aside and dive right in & make the quilt you want- the way you want....flannel is wonderful to work with ~ I've made literally hundreds of flannel quilts- about half the time I don't even pre-wash the flannels- every one has turned out wonderful. *the only time I prewash my flannels is if they are thin, single sided, loosely woven- poor quality; and then only if I think washing will tighten up the weave & improve the fabric- and for some reason I have to use that fabric* generally I always purchase good quality, heavy, double sided flannels. I've never zigzagged my edges- sometimes I do use a wider seam than normal- but not always. I seldom starch my flannels unless i'm having trouble cutting one- generally I just steam press them. beyond cleaning out the bobbin area of my machine at each bobbin change I've not had an excess of 'lint' to deal with either. *taking every warning to heart you've ever read ranks right up there with reading about diseases on the internet and finding you have some of the same symptoms for every disease out there* ... I've noticed some people create more problems than necessary 'over thinking' everything.... flannel is a fabulous fabric to work with!

added a picture of a flannel quilt I made for a friend- some of the flannels were pre-washed, some were not- also the flannels are mixed in with regular cottons- the finished quilt was washed & dried before this picture was taken
    Attached Thumbnails kellys-cabin.jpg  
    Old 01-22-2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by kathy0117
    After making several quilts Im now going to attempt a flannel one. Im wondering if using a very light weight fusible interfacing on the fabric would help to stabilize the stretching. Any opinions on this idea would be appreciated.
    I had wondered this too, but I have already started on my first flannel quilt. I do think it is a little more "stretchy" but so far so good.
    Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    set your fears aside and dive right in & make the quilt you want- the way you want....flannel is wonderful to work with ~ I've made literally hundreds of flannel quilts- about half the time I don't even pre-wash the flannels- every one has turned out wonderful. *the only time I prewash my flannels is if they are thin, single sided, loosely woven- poor quality; and then only if I think washing will tighten up the weave & improve the fabric- and for some reason I have to use that fabric* generally I always purchase good quality, heavy, double sided flannels. I've never zigzagged my edges- sometimes I do use a wider seam than normal- but not always. I seldom starch my flannels unless i'm having trouble cutting one- generally I just steam press them. beyond cleaning out the bobbin area of my machine at each bobbin change I've not had an excess of 'lint' to deal with either. *taking every warning to heart you've ever read ranks right up there with reading about diseases on the internet and finding you have some of the same symptoms for every disease out there* ... I've noticed some people create more problems than necessary 'over thinking' everything.... flannel is a fabulous fabric to work with!

added a picture of a flannel quilt I made for a friend- some of the flannels were pre-washed, some were not- also the flannels are mixed in with regular cottons- the finished quilt was washed & dried before this picture was taken
    WOW, Love the quilt.