Windows 8 Is Frustrating!!

Old 02-18-2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by donnalynett View Post
We have a desktop with Windows 8 and we hate it. Can't do anything with all of our pictures and can't seem to find anyone who knows how to help me. We had Vista and when we got used to it we really liked it but we just can't seem to figure out Windows 8.
There's a tile on the start screen(lower, left corner of tiles) that says desktop. Hit that and you'll be on a desktop screen. Any app you want on the taskbar(on desktop) you right click the tile and put it on the taskbar. I've been using my windows 8 computer like this since I got it and was taught how to get to the desktop. Still don't like windows 8. There's an update to windows 8 to win 8.1 that lets you log in directly to the desktop but I haven't downloaded it yet.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 AM

Oh I hear you! Go to this website and download the FREE program Classic Shell. It turns your Windows 8 screens into looking and acting like Windows 7. It is a wonderful program.

http://www.classicshell.net/
Old 02-18-2014, 11:42 AM

I purchased a new computer in October and was told that most new computers come with Windows 8 and that Windows 8 was designed more for touch screens than for keyboards. However; my sales/service person installed Windows 7 in the computer I purchased and just sent the disks for Windows 8 home with my purchase in case I want/need to update later. Great service person!!!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:13 PM

I have XP on my laptop and the desktop is Vista. I think my laptop will be crashing on me one of these days, have had it for a long time. I read somewhere that Windows 7 is out selling Windows 8. Think I will be checking into getting 7 and not 8. Don't know what 8.1 is like but have heard so many negative comments on 8 I don't think I want it.

Pat in MN
Old 02-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I use Windows 8 and upgraded from 7. I can't tell the difference. It's all a pain in my rear. Just cause I'm not savvy enough. I get done what I have to and that's all I care. I usually always have my email up at the same time as FB and QB. I can go along for about 1 1/2 hours then everything locks. Hit restart and proceed. All in a days frustration. Some times I talk to "Bud", the "Baileys" or the Asti Spumantis about it.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
Point your cursor in the upper, left corner. You'll see the last screen you were on - click and you're there.
Thanks. I'll try that.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Whenever I have computer problems, I ask my 8 yr old grandson - he always knows the answer! LOL

In fact, one of his favorite things to do is download "emulators" for every operating system ever produced. He can tell you the pros and cons of each one!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I went from XP to windows 8 it was painful... not so bad now.
That's his situation. The old lap top has XP and this is soooo different. He has to do training for the next three days and was really stressed. He did go to Best Buy and they showed him some things that seemed to help. He still doesn't feel totally comfortable but as long as he knows enough to get through the next three days he'll be happy.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 AM

I don't have Windows 8 but I have been told it is a "nightmare" to work with. All the new computers have it so I guess if you need a new computer you have no choice. I learned on a Mac years ago & now have a pc & as far as I am concerned Apple is far superior IMHO. If you are a pc user, it takes some getting used to but the software is so much better & simpler to use, again IMHO.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 AM

I agreee but after working on trying to figure it out for many weeks, I finally have a bit of "how this darn thing" works.
I would go back to the former version at once if offered.